Attention Members: Need Feedback On Points System

Bosco

how would an automated point system work?

also...having all the 'submitting news' on the front page...will probably end up to alot of spam.

also...how would an automated system be able to 'tell' spam from actual 'comments'? what if they are actually helpful comments?

just trying to figure this out lol

Everything has limits set. For example lets take a look at how you get points for posting news on our site:

1. You submit the news here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/postnews.php

-> You get a set amount of points for just submitting the news. You may only submit up to three news items a day, the rest will not count for points helps prevent spamming). You don't get points if you submit more than one news item within a set period of time (helps prevent spamming). If you submit way too many news items within a set period of time, you get points taken away automatically.

2. Your news that you submitted will not be "live" on our site, until I approve the news. If I think the news would be good for our site and if the news has not been posted before, I will "approve" it. At this point, the news will be live on the front page. You will also get "additional" points since your news got approved.

If you post a certain number of comments in the news, you will get points.

If you post too many comments in a certain period of time, you get no points.

If the system detects that you have are rapidly going from one news article to the next, posting comments then those points up until that point for that day will be removed from your account. The system will also take away even more points to warn you from doing it again.

You will not be awarded posts if the comment is not "usefull".

I cannot disclose a lot of detailed information about the points system, but it will be unbiased (unless you're a folding member :P ) and fair since it requires no actions from moderators.

Long as you don't spam, the system will not remove points from you.

Well, a folding competition (like that one where we gave away that bare bones computer) would persuade me to cut down on gaming so I can devote a few more hours to folding. As for being more active in the forums, I'm pretty much settled in. I reply to questions I can answer and ask a few when needed

Well I understand that. Some members will continue to just go to the forums and that's all.

The new system is being made to encourage members to use the entire site, not just one specific area.

points for news submitted (i have a feeling theres going to be like 5 reviews a day on mouse pads now)

consecutive days folding. (x points every week or something)

one time reward for posting a case, maybe points for the positive votes you get (posibility for abuse, people giving each other votes)

points for news submitted (i have a feeling theres going to be like 5 reviews a day on mouse pads now)

yeah, exactly. I don't think you should have the limit set to 3 per DAY. It should be something like once per week you can post a news item. And what about people submitting the same "news". I mean, if you're not posting them until approval, then odds are, when a big news flash happens, you'll get twenty about the same thing. I just don't think the news posting is a good idea. I'd rather someone just make a thread about whatever it is.

I think that points should be nominated by users, IE a user sees a post that was helpful to them, so they suggest it for points. Then the mods get it and give an amount of points. OR, should the post be useless, it can be suggested to denominate points.

Pros:

You are forced to be witty, funny, or helpful

Cons:

People might hate you then not ever suggest you

My two cents.