Explorer.exe

CheeseMan42

when i look in task manager, it shows that explorer.exe is using a lot of my cpu. i dont think i am using it and it has only begun to do this recently. is it perhaps spyware? any help would be appreciated

you're kidding, right? right?

explorer.exe? That runs your computer...try ending it and see what happens (don't worry, you can end it safely, seriously)....but then when you realize you can't do anything else really, just go to "run" and type in explorer.exe to start it up again. You can also do this method to free up some of the resources.

if the taskbar disappers then how do i execute run? is there a shortcut? and i know it runs my computer but im just bringing it up because it never used to use that much cpu. at points it was using over 90%

Its a windows file if you close it it will make you restart.

actually, if i recall correctly, the task manager won't even let you remove svchost.exe. It gives a pop up message saying it's a necessary process or something like that.

Omega, lol...i haven't heard of anyone ending explorer.exe, but hey, i guess it makes sense if you want the most performance for f@h, even though explorer uses only 1-3% of cpu power normally anyways.

What i've found through my own personal experience is that explorer uses a lot of resources if you have all the eye candy turned on. I have mine at old windows style in XP. Also, if you have a lot of windows open, or even a lot of programs running. Also, if your computer hasnt been restarted in a while it will seem to eat up the memory and require a restart. Man, i hate being low on ram :(

And another possibility i've heard of is the sasser worm, it eats up the cpu usage and slows everything to a crawl.

Edited by HomerJaySimpson