Resize A Picture

How can i make my picture small enough so that it can be used as my sig (480x80)? I am using Photoshop CS and i am a real newb to it... I have had literally 3 hours of "play time" with it lol. I have the basics down pretty much but i still cant get my picture down to the right size. Here is my background so far... My idea was to have a detailed background in black and white with my name and other crap in brilliant colors with a small amount of sometime to accent the name and amount of color. Also, how can i get this to be black and white?

EDIT: nvm i got it black and white...

You're tellin us you 'bought' Photoshop CS? :P

:lol: Yeah right! :lol:

I have it too. It has an option in the image size to restrain proportions, but in a sig it would have to be rectangular shape so i guess you cannot do that. Just make a new one to the specified size, it aint hard. :)

i don't know about cs, but choose the selection tool (the dotted square)... and on the top toolbar choose constrained aspect ratio and input 480 x80, then select an area, crop it, then resize to 480x80...

OR

just go image > image size, untick constrain proportions... and do 480 x80...

the first option will make a rectangled view of part of the image... the 2nd will squash it to size...

the constrained selection is shown below, you'd then Image > Crop it...

(the resize is left to you...)

hopefully cs isn't radically different to previous versions in this respect...