Video Card Or New Processor

well the 6800 series has better quality then ati now but thats all they have

not really , If you tune the ati card rite , it has better quality

like a said get an 9800 after you save up some cash , ( great cards and great technogly)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i also do a lot of graphics works in poser,photoshop,flash, premier, and sometimes light wave. .

if you do lots of work with those programs then better harddrives would show improvment too.

the rendering will still be slow, but the vid card wont make that faster.

Mac would help these programs.

For games its your vid card not your cpu thats lagging you.

if you do lots of work with those programs then better harddrives would show improvment too.

the rendering will still be slow, but the vid card wont make that faster.

Mac would help these programs.

For games its your vid card not your cpu thats lagging you.

fastss i'm afraid you're wrong...

harddrives would make minimal difference...

in 3D programs like 3DSMax etc, 3d cards can be chosen to render in DX9 or OpenGL2 instead of software rendering... it's like 10 times faster for rendered previewing, and also noticeably faster for all other modelling views...

mac wouldn't help the 3D ones... they're predominantly loaded on PC's in the industry...

i'm not just speculating btw, not blowing my own trumpet but my final year project in uni was animation which included 3dsmax as a tool, and i'm starting a masters in computer games technology...

pc's rule!

oh and yeah spectra, if morrowind sucks fps-wise then surely you can see its your graphics card! isn't that game DX7 ?! and for dx9 games like farcry then don't even bother settling for less than a 9600xt as an absolute bare minimum unless you like the slow side of 24fps...

mac can kiss my arse.

in 3D programs like 3DSMax etc, 3d cards can be chosen to render in DX9 or OpenGL2 instead of software rendering... it's like 10 times faster for rendered previewing, and also noticeably faster for all other modelling views...

mac wouldn't help the 3D ones... they're predominantly loaded on PC's in the industry...

i'm not just speculating btw, not blowing my own trumpet but my final year project in uni was animation which included 3dsmax as a tool, and i'm starting a masters in computer games technology...

pc's rule!

oh and yeah spectra, if morrowind sucks fps-wise then surely you can see its your graphics card! isn't that game DX7 ?! and for dx9 games like farcry then don't even bother settling for less than a 9600xt as an absolute bare minimum unless you like the slow side of 24fps...

mac can kiss my arse.

harddrives help more while doing the work, if your working with large files.

like 15 gig rips off minDV's

For 3d, the REAL computers still arnt the average home PC. far from.

The vid card wont help three of his "main programs he uses (photoshop, flash, premier).

all but flash would see improvment with a faster hard drive/raid, as long as he's not doing little piddly crap with the programs.

DONT GET THE VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically any SE card sucks total @$$!!! find a 5200 Ultra card if you want a REALLY nice gfx card that would be cheap. I dont see why you shouldnt get the proccessor, $150 for that???? BUY NOW!!!

:foldon: :foldon: :foldon:

^Not true fastss, more and faster memory is going to help a lot more if trying to proccess large files quickly^

^listen to the man^

Do hate on the prescott i have one and its great... the package date was sometime in May, so i got i pretty good one.. But its still in its box and today i got the rest of my memory.. Oh yag 1GB now...

DONT GET THE VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically any SE card sucks total @$$!!!  find a 5200 Ultra card if you want a REALLY nice  gfx card that would be cheap.  I dont see why you shouldnt get the proccessor, $150 for that???? BUY NOW!!!

^Not true fastss, more and faster memory is going to help a lot more if trying to proccess large files quickly^

Ok, I just actually read the entire thread...

Don't go recommending the FX5200, Ultra or not. The architecture sucks. If you want to play anything above 640x480 stay away from it. Get the 9800pro for gaming. It's a great card.

If you're going to be doing a 15GB rip from a MiniDV, it'll fill up the 2 or 4 GB max on most boards for RAM in no time. And if you have a 15K SCSI drive, then your swap file will be faster, so you'll get way better performance in all apps anyway.

^listen to the man^

Ok, you have a 5200 rpm 2 mb cache hard drive, and be working with six 15 gig files.

And I'll use a pair of sata 7200 8mb cache drive in raid.

Same everything else.

Now load up your program and import these files and do whatever.

What one is going to be faster?

mine, by lots.

I went from a pair of 7200 2mb ata drives, to 4 sata 7200 8mb drives in raid.

and EVERYTHING is faster, loading windows and programs is faster, and importing the files is liek a 1/10 the time, rendering anything is still a ######, but moving large amounts of video has become much much faster. even saving the files is incredible fast now.

If your high end video and graphics hard drives WILL make a noticable difference.

I still have yet to find a way to rip MiniDV faster then real time without making hte vid crappy. or spending huge amounts of money.

But with my drives I can rip from 3 decks at one time.