Sb Is Hot...

battery

my SB is super hot to the touch...i know its waaay hotter then anything else running in my comp...is this abnormal...my proc is at 41C load...while i can't even touch my SB for more then a second without pullit away with burn marks...

Use any heatsink. Who cares if it's an old stock oversized way to huge Processor heatsink, just more cooling. Just passivly cooling it is probably fine. If you have spare ramsinks laying around, those work good too. The South Bridge does Hard Drive, PCI slot and "Integrated Sound" functions. I found two things made my southbridge hotter than usual. Defragmenting/Anti-virus scanning the hard-drive, or after I installed my Sound Blaster Live!, which I had to remove because of compatibility crap.

you shouldnt worry about your SB unless your onboard sound starts to get crackily. If you MUST do something about it, epoxy your NB heasink to it and get Swiftechs NB heatsink or Microcools Northpole. With this method, not only do you get to cool your SB but you'll get a better/more stable OC (better NB cooling)

i've noticed my SB would get pretty hot too.

i read about a guy who put an old passive heatsink from a gf4 mx on it...and it helped him up his fsb more. this was before pci locks though