Amd 64 System

sunday:  how does he have a socket 754 chip on a socket 940 board?  I think you mean KV8 which I also own... CRAP is a nice way to talk about that board.

clay:  the NF3 150 was weak, the NF3 150 pro (for athlon fx/opteron) wasn't much better but with the unlocked multiplier it worked out just fine.  I have yet to really go all out messing with the NF3 250 just because I don't feel like wasting the time/money/effort on a 754 version of it right now.  I'm waiting for a socket 939 board from someone BESIDES asus (yes the P4p/c boards were good, but the last few generations of amd based boards have had LOTS of problems).  DFI will most likely stick to just an Nforce3 250 version of the boards for now.  they only jumped on socket 754 with one very poor showing of a board.  But I doubt they'll stay away from via all together and build them for the OEM market and use the NF3's for the enthusiast market.

btw they had some mention of considering new colors like blue and yellow with the new lanparty boards (I hope that was more than a way of seeing how the public would take it) in thier latest news letter to preferred  vendors

The NF3 150 and NF3 150 pro are identical chipsets. They just call ones for socket 940 "pro". The NF3 150 is not a bad chipset, but it was poorly implimented by many manufacturers. My AK89 MAX is an NF3 150 and the PCI/AGP lock is fully functional. The reduced HTT bus is a very small performance hit. Only FX cpus can be set to a higher multiplyer, all A64s can be set lower if the BIOS supports it. It has nothing to do with the chipset.

Edited by oralpain

Well personally I can't wait for some compotition to force out some good 939 boards. Maybe in about a month a few more bords and maybe another chip will hit the market and prices should be resomable.. again?

:foldon:

no, the asus board's are not the only ones. DFI is coming next week, and MSI is supposed to be shipping theirs this weekend.

with past experience stay away from the asus boards... they've been total crap on the 64 bit end with the exception fo the SK series boards that were only okay.

oook big red ur the only one with asus probems almost everyone else loves them

Hey guys, I've always been an Asus fan, and despite several comments I've seen on the boards about problems with them, I went ahead and grabbed an A8V for my new A64 3500. I just received the parts yesterday, and everything is still boxed up. I plan on gluing everything together tonight, throwing on XP-64 and going to town. I'll let you aspiring A64 owners know how things go. If you have specific questions or benchmark requests, feel free to ask me.

Ben