I Thik We Need A Spele Checker

Mangar

it was brought up a few weeks ago. one problem was server load. some people feel, me anyways, that spelling errors aren't such a big deal has posting in cohereant thoughts. i.e. not posting 10 lines of one long phrase, but breaking up different thoughts with something as simple as a comma, period or just hitting the enter key.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i htink i am the worst speller of our bunch and i do want a spell checker cause i have gotten a warning about my spelling and puntuation . so if i had a tool to help we that would b great . i mean spelling wasnt my best subject in school but it dosent mean i am retarded . i have alot to say but if no one can read it well then i feel left out

Anyone with word has a built in spelling and grammar checker. Granted, it takes a few more seconds to copy and paste a post into word and back, for longer posts, I feel its worth it.

And no server load/administrative work needed!! :P

I have a spell checker I installed on firebird but I dont use it...

Programers dont need to know how to spell, they just need to spell it the same every time

it was brought up a few weeks ago. one problem was server load. some people feel, me anyways, that spelling errors aren't such a big deal has posting in cohereant thoughts. i.e. not posting 10 lines of one long phrase, but breaking up different thoughts with something as simple as a comma, period or just hitting the enter key.

Yup... Just 6 messages down from this one...

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=24013

As stated in that thread, while a spell checker in the forums might be helpful there are more reason as to why it shouldn't be implemented.

1- Spell checkers can be database and app server intensive

2- Who would maintain/update the word list?

3- There are plenty of other options, such as:

3a- Dictionary.com

3b- Microsoft Word - Copy & Paste (not free)

3c- OpenOffice.org Writer - Copy & Paste (FREE)

3d- Buy a dictionary

3e- Learn to spell better

3f- ASpell Browser Plugin (FREE)

3g- Get a pocket dictionary.

3h- Ask someone how to spell a word if you are unsure.

I'm by far the best speller (it's a joke, for those few who didn't get it), but I do at least proof read many of my messages... or ask someone to look them over. It's a pretty simple task.

We don't go though and check messages for spelling errors. In fact, I can't think of a single person that has been warned only for spelling mistakes. We have warned a few people for punctuation usage. Such as never using a comma, period, etc. There is absolutely no reason to type 50 words in a line without using some form of punctuation.

I don't care what the excuse is, you should make a conscious effort to check your own spelling and grammar. Not only will it help you out here, it'll help you in life as well. Mistakes are understandable... we all make them. ;)

Edited by d3bruts1d

Getting a little full of yourself there D3

Hmmm, I thought I just saw a post a month or so ago with some mistakes that someone brought up about D3, Naa, that must have been someone else! J/K

:foldon:

Edited by road-runner

I'm by far the best speller, but I do at least proof read many of my messages...

I'll give you a run for your money on that best speller claim, d3.

That was a joke guys. Sheesh...

Have ya'll never seen "By far" to mean not? Think about it... why would I say I at least proof read many of my messages if I thought I was the best speller (which I know I'm not)? <_<

At least there were some people that got it.

Edited by d3bruts1d

i'm surprised that the youth of today (haha :P) can't even spell basic words... i mean, don't they teach you how to spell in school these days?

i remember having to do spelling exercises when i was about 7 or 8... how can you go through life not knowing how to spell? it just seems a little odd to me - unless of course you are truly dyslexic, one of my mates is, this is a good use of a spell checker...

for people who aren't dislexic, spell checkers should really only be used on formal stuff like letters, important emails (maybe), and i dunno, when you decide to write a book or sumfin...

AAAGH! just learn to spell! don't you have to be able to spell to even graduate outta school anymore? :lol:

you yanks have raped the English language enough already without even MORE spelling mistakes... i mean, you can't even spell colour properly! :P

you yanks have raped the English language enough already without even MORE spelling mistakes... i mean, you can't even spell colour properly! :P

Lol,there are a lot of those,eh?To paraphrase G.B. Shaw,we're two nations seperated by a common language. :P