Dry Ice

Could I put some dry ice in a bowl in the bottem of my computer , add water and let the gas cool my computer ( well help) , Will the C02 do ahything to my computer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No condestion since co2 doesn't have a Liqaud state , it's ganna be for a lan w/o A/c , so my computer won't get so hot. it lasts like 48 hours!

Edited by Shadowfactor

No condestion since co2 doesn't have a Liqaud state , it's ganna be for a lan w/o A/c , so my computer won't get so hot.  it lasts like 48 hours!

True, but it will cause your componets to drop below ambient temps...which will cause condensation to form on warmer parts in the computer. Even if setup in a container just to cool the air temp in the case, it will cause the case temp to drop and condensation to form.

Back in New Zealand I was in a band and we used dry ice for gigs all the time. We went to a place called BOP Gas and they gave us kilos of the stuff for free. CO2 in dry ice form was a run off of their gas production, so they were more than happy for us to take it away. Call around the local companies who manufacture different gases and see if they will give you any of the run off for free or for a discount. (Just don't say you are blowing up bottles with the ice... another fun thing to do at concerts)

good luck,

-tsamb.

No condestion since co2 doesn't have a Liqaud state , it's ganna be for a lan w/o A/c , so my computer won't get so hot.  it lasts like 48 hours!

Heh,co2 does have a liquid state.It's very cold.From Wikipaedia:

"Dry ice is produced by compressing CO2 to a liquid form, removing excess heat, and then letting the liquid carbon dioxide expand quickly. This expansion causes a drop in temperature so that some of the CO2 freezes to "snow" which is then compressed."

A friend of mine uses dry ice once for DIY PC competition. For 1 kilogram, it only lasted for a couple of hours. But good "cooling system" it is. ;). If you want longer lasting, try liquid nitrogen, but its dangerous chemical and not easy to get.