Building A New Computer

Elf

So I've had a crappy generic Compaq for about 3 years now. Me and my sister always fight over the computer so my parents decided to get me a new one. I have really didn't do any upgrading to the one I have now, but I have bought a new Video Card, I think it is a ATI Raedon 9800 Pro 128 MB.

The VC is good, but after a couple months we didn't know that we needed a bigger power source so these weird line things came up on the monitor and basically burned lines through it. It's not very visible, but when you look closely you can see them and when the lines are over white the lines look like a light brown. But I digress....

So what I want to do is build new one for me. I don't need a VC (obviously). I want to spend around a 1k or so... (I think) Mid-range I guess you could say? I'm not too sure.

What do you guys recommend? As you can see I don't know that much about Computer Hardware, but I heard that AMD was better than Intel. (I think)

Thanks!

Elf :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why i came here in the first place. im new around here so to speak. and ill tell you this, everything you want to ever know about building a solid frankenstein rig is all here. just use that search button up top of the page and look for what you want. or just click here,

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?act=Search&f=28

What i'm building now is my first build since college in 1995.....yeah...long time. lots has changed so im doing alot of researching here and elsewhere to get back up to speed. but choose what you want the computer to do. search here for those answers to each task you want it to do. then choose the best parts in realtion to the search results. I wanted a gaming rig on a budget that would be able to do things quickly....not just a fast processor but a good matched set of components that will work together tightly and efficiently and no incompatabilities ....like the 3 mic attack of the beastie boys.

Just for your info $1,000 will get you one FAST machine. especially if you want to get into overclocking. you could very possibly build a 4ghz intel for that. (one guy on here i know of has hit 4ghz....gotta have that one special ship tho) most likely the most expensive part of your rig will be that 9800 pro card you already have unless you go for a big top chip like the intel 3.4ee or an FX53 amd or something. ive spent $320 so far and have the case/power and all the drives i could want. now i need chip/board/mem/video (9800 as well)....and that looks like $450 min. if i go the amd mobile route....or $550 for the intel/amd64 route....minimum.

good luck man!....dont forget the search page on here.

Edited by robAP

CPU XP 2600 mobile

MOBODFI Infinity nf2 ultra

RamOCZ

Hard drivesSATA hdd et 2 and run raid 0

Heatsink

1k.SLK900a

Heatsink Fan

92mm panaflo

That comes to about $600 dollars so get whatever sound card and case that you like and have some cash left for other things and you should still come up less than 1k. Good luck and i am amd biased. :foldon:

CPU: Athlon 64 2800+ Retail

Motherboard: Chaintech VNF3-250

Memory: 512MB Mushkin Level 1 PC3500

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 36GB

DVD Writer: Lite-On SOHW-812S

DVD-ROM, CD-RW: Lite-On SOHC-5232K

Total: $781, which leaves enough for a Case, Power Supply, and Sound Card.

i agree with paranoid, he didn't msay it but he suggested a 64bit chip, if u have that much money to spend, i would definately go the 64 bit road.

CPU: Athlon 64 2800+ Retail

Motherboard: Chaintech VNF3-250

Memory: 512MB Mushkin Level 1 PC3500

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 36GB

DVD Writer: Lite-On SOHW-812S

DVD-ROM, CD-RW: Lite-On SOHC-5232K

Total: $781, which leaves enough for a Case, Power Supply, and Sound Card.

i agree with paranoid, he didn't msay it but he suggested a 64bit chip, if u have that much money to spend, i would definately go the 64 bit road.

Are all of those products listed of high quality?

Also, if I get a case, do they come with the pwoer supply already in it?

Edited by Elf

most cases come with a power supply, but in most of those cases the power supply is crap, so i wouldhighly suggest investing some money into an enermax. As for those specs i don't much about that mobo but everything else is very good quality.

What is the point of getting the 64 ? It is useless, it costs more and there is no 64 bit os. Does it run faster? Cause i would rather get the xp 3200+ its like 100 cheaper if i rember

If you want cheap, good performance go with the AMD mobile XP's. If you want pretty hardcore performance at a bit higher price get either an athlon 64 bit or a p4 2.8 or 3.0 or something like that.

No matter what people keep telling me Im still convinced the p4's run games better than the athlon XP's, they also bench higher "out of the box" (tis a fact :P)

Should be a pretty nice setup seeing as though you already have a 9800 pro :)

I also disagree with getting the AMD 64, since they will be changing to 939 pin format really soon. Getting a more expensive AMD64 at this point limits the upgradability, and there is no software to support it yet.

:foldon: