Can't Lock Memory Frequency?

Im no expert but the system your describing here is already up to date, as I would say. It would be a waste of money to upgrade when you have a good card and the best ram your processor will support which happens to be a 3.06 P4.

If you want your system to be better for 1 game and you have a few hundred$ to spare buy a CPU that has an 800FSB and pc3200 ram, the cpu being 3.06 doesn't matter if you can get at least a 2.66 with an 800fsb and PC3200

Edited by Coolzero101

I thought 1:1 was the "normal" divider.I'm not sure how the ASUS BIOS is layed out,but if you have set a 5:4 divider,then your memory should start out underclocked and give you some headroom to determine whether it's the CPU or the RAM holding you back.

hmm well in your bios you should have an Advanced something or other option (usually third one down on the left hand side) and then look around for some kind of setting that says System Performance with options Manual, Automatic... that should reveal the settings for your CPU:MEM ratio, maybe dig out the mobo manual or download it off the web...

you really don't need to upgrade with that rig... but yeah a bit of careful o/c-ing should sort things out...

oh yeah, yer unstable because of that divider, get it down to 1:1 and reap the bountiful harvest that is oc

I updated the first post with my BIOS settings. Looked around, but could not find anything to change that default 5/4 divider for the FSB to memory frequecy ratio.

I can bump CPU External Frequency up 1-2MHz, but after that, the system will blue screen and/or lock up during boot.

The System Performance Mode under Chip Configuration has three options: Auto, Optimal, and Turbo. There's nothing there to change the 5/4 divider.

Edited by teh roxxors

First off, welcome to OCC roxxors... DON'T TOUCH THE LLAMAS!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Second, when you have issues like lockup after an OC, that usually means it's time to up the VCore or lower the FSB ;)

As for the RAM divider, look for an option that says something like "PCI/DRAM divider ratio". I think that's what it's called on your board...

As far as bumping up Vcore voltage, there's no real science to it, is there? I mean, you can't assume if you increase FSB by x MHz, then you increase Vcore voltage by z volts, right?

All I know about it so far is that you make tiny increases. But how to know when to stop increasing is beyond me. I assume a smoking mobo is one indication, but there must be a better one.

Correct, there is no perfict predictability for upping the Vcore when raising the FSB. It's all down to probability, if you increase the Vcore, then it's more likely to be stable, i might not be, but there is a better chance of it to work porperly than with that origina Vcore.

Vcore just increases the distance of the 'on' and 'off' states of a processor, as the pchip goes faster, it may not be able to switch 'on' all the way before it has to reverse and get to the 'off' posistion. Raising the vcore moves those renges a bit further apart, so it's easier to differentiate between the 'on' and 'off' states.

Its all to do with probability my friend, what idiots go around shoulting IF YOU OC YOUR MACHING IT WILL SHROTEN IT'S LIFESPAN!!! Well, its a half truth, there is the higher chance that it will shorten it's lifespan, its not a dead cert.

It looks like your RAM is at it's rated limit already.What brand of RAM are you using?You could also set your SDRAM config. to "manual" or "user defined",whichever it says,then enter the same timing you are using by SPD.Sometimes this helps.How much voltage are you giving the memory?Since it's already at it's rated limit and appears to be pretty stubborn about any FSB increases,you can try upping the memory voltage and/or relaxing the timings to see if it will do anything.

some bioses (like mine, and it took long time to figure) dont implement dividers like the 5:4, what you can do instead is to override the memroy frequecy detected by the bios with a lower setting.

I my case i use ddr400 and I raise the FSB from 200 to 240 MHz, then I must change the memory setting from DDR400 to DDR333.

Also the memory bandwith setting must be set to LOW

note that 240/200 = 400/333

And if I want to push the OC

you might wanna try to up the voltage of your ram to see if it goes further. also try to set timings mannually to 3-4-4-* ( don't know the last number anymore..lol)

don't go higher then 2.9V on that ram....