A Good Question This, Really No Joke

Ste

How much better/cheaper can i custum build a PC for, not only that but i understand they usally work alot better then the ones u just buy from Dell or another company premade. Right? <_<

Cheaper? probably not... you can buy a good computer for very inexpensive prices now....

but a custom built is more fun and better for tweaking and overclocking..

a big box computer for the most part can not be tweaked or ovreclocked... they are designed that way from a support standpoint...

If you are looking for a computer for a non-computer user that will run OK.. with little or no problems, get a Dell... they are just fine..

If you wnat the experience and a nice system that you can overclock, tweak, etc. etc. then you need to build one...

just remember that building systems 'can' be a big headache sometimes....

there is no support (except BB's like this and others)

and you can run into compatibility issues...

but IMHO it is well worth it....

Put simply....My parents who are a bit older and not so swift (like their son! :P ) own a Dell....

I build all mine

You would be very hard pressed to build a run-of-the-mill computer less than what Dell sells for. I got my wife a nice 2.6GHz P4 machine with LCD monitor for about $1700 including 3-yr service etc. For what she uses it for (kids' games. word processing, internet surfing), it is an excellent computer. Most of the users here would not be happy with that, which is OK.

I built my 3.0Ghz P4 for about $2,200 with no monitor- BUT, I got exactly what I wanted, it's looks good and has exactly what I wanted in it with bigger drives and more RAM. Plus it's just plain fun to put them together and you get the satisfaction of it being something you built.

It takes about 20 minutes to go to the Dell site, click a couple of buttons, put in your credit card number and wait for the machine to arrive on your doorstep. Building your own takes weeks of research, a lot of interaction with other people on forums like this one, etc. And you're nver done once it is finsihed. Nobody here builds a machine and quits. They're constantly tinkering and enhancing.

If you're looking for the best price, go to Dell. If you want to have fun, learn a lot of new stuff, meet new friends etc.- build your own.

I agree that you can buy a pre-built now very cheap, and that it is hard to beat their prices. If you don't do any serious gaming or tweaking, they will work out great. Most are meant for word-processing, surfing, and other small daily tasks.

Now, if you are gamer...You will be hard pressed to find a "gaming" pre-built from Dell that isn't quite alot more than a custom. Alienware, Falcon NW, VooDoo, etc... all make quality pre-built "gaming" machines that you pay a premium price for. An A64 system with a high end video card will run you almost or over $3K, whereas one can be built by you for no more than $2K.

No wonder my computer is screwing up, i use it just for gaming and sometimes homework, my brother games on it and down loads music, and my sister uses it to dl music and homework.

-Sighs- system reformat better work

No wonder my computer is screwing up, i use it just for gaming and sometimes homework, my brother games on it and down loads music, and my sister uses it to dl music and homework.

-Sighs- system reformat better work

What system is it? Reformating is nice...Our Old PII Family computer was sooo SLOW-W-W...Reformatted it, then BOOM! Went flat out like a lizard drinking ( :huh: )