Adding Harddrive

OK, latlty i posted something that wasn't very clear. So let me rephrase.

I just bought a 80G HD.

I Installed O/S on 80G.

I wanna Add my old 30G for storage.

My 30G Alwready Has an OS on it.

I Wanna know hjow to take off that OS completly from the 30G, so that i can use it for storage.

Then i wanna know how the Primary and Secondary stuff works. ( Master & Slave also..)

Just hope i made myself VERY clear lollll ;)

thx.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfer your files that you need off your 30 gig to your 80.

Format it and start fresh, you don't want any crud from your old drive's os if you're just going to use it for storage.

Transfer your files that you need off your 30 gig to your 80.

Format it and start fresh, you don't want any crud from your old drive's os if you're just going to use it for storage.

i dont know ghow to connect both togheter..

what i men is..i want my 80G to start up and the 30G to serve for storage only ..i dont know what connnections to make.

all you need to do is connect the 80gig hard to your first ide motherboard port on the primary channel...

so your mobo probly has IDE 1 and 2 ... so connect to #1... then either:

1) put the 80gig hard-drive on Cable-Select (by moving a jumper on the hard drive) and put it on the END of the ata cable.

or 2) put the 80gig hard-drive on Master and put it on the cable

try connecting JUST the 80 gig and make sure it's the first hard-drive when you boot up...

btw your avatar is a biohazard symbol, not radioactive... :P

primary and secondary... right, basically the ide port on your mobo, connect a cable on it that plugs into 2 hard-drives, ones gotta be master and one slave... the master should be on the end and the secondary halfway along, if you set them both as Cable-Select then this (should) happens automatically... otherwise you set one as Master and one as Slave

if you did this on IDE port 1 then the master would be your first hard drive at boot and slave the second... this could translate to C and D drives...

that's it basically... using cable select is easier

Do a low level format on your 30gig harddrive. So..... you don't want your 30gig hd to start up @ all or you just want it as a second drive???

OR you could just partition or "merge" the two drives together but first u need to low level format. Just set jumper settings for your harddrives, your 80gig master and 30gig slave, i think if you put the jumper to the far right it is master, middle slave and far left cable select. I dunno what u really want to know but this is my best shot.

Guest ThermalGuru

Set your Primary Drive in your BIOS also. You can do that without switching the cables around. But I like to do both.

OK once again.

THX fr replying guys.

but ahh my 5400RPM hd is screwed up man ..and i dont know what the heck is master and whats slave.

ok so the 30G is on "X" (Master Or Slave, i have no crap.king idea)..and my 80Gig is on Pri Master and doesn't wanna boot. it dosent get up to the loading of XP

what do i do.

ere are my jumper settings on the 30G

Edited by RadioActivated

OK once again.

THX fr replying guys.

but ahh my 5400RPM hd is screwed up man ..and i dont know what the heck is master and whats slave.

ok so the 30G is on "X" (Master Or Slave, i have no crap.king idea)..and my 80Gig is on Pri Master and doesn't wanna boot. it dosent get up to the loading of XP

what do i do.

ere are my jumper settings on the 30G

on top of the 30gb hd there should be a illustration telling you the jumper settings

ok i give UP ...!!!!!!

i tried finding how to do it on the HD i can't ..! i just give up man ..unless a miracle happens i will be able to do it ..

check this how screwed up this is.

ok. i put my Primary HD on Master ( with the jumper on master in the back) and it shows me that it's SLAVE..!! i just can't understand why somebody else wouldn't crapin' get this error. it hasd to be me man.

doesent anyone know how fix this

OMFG. loosing patient with this computer.ABOUT TO THROW IT OUT OF THE WINDOW SOON. :angry:

Edited by RadioActivated

Guest ThermalGuru

Now you know the importance of haveing done a good research on a motherboard and good BIOS. Good luck man, because those jumper settings are useless until you find someone with the exact same HD that knows something about them.