Relax Memory Timings Or Voltage First?

I would like to know from those of you that are more experienced than me: should I try to relax memory timings, or up my voltage first, when trying to stabilize my rig?

:foldon:

do both. Set your your ddr voltage to 2.8 (safe voltage) and relax your timings. Then when you find your prime95 stable tighten up your timings and retest.

I like to do it this way because unstable ram can corrupt windows. Next thing you know youll have to do a clean install. Good luck!

Edited by rein

It depends. My Geil takes votages from 2.6 to 2.9. Since it supports 2.9, I set it there to get the RAM the most stable while overclocking. It depends on what company made your RAM, and the speed and size of the stick of RAM.

mine supports 3.3+ :P

but then again it's CH-5....

but i would suggest you up the Vdimm first too see if the ram can handle it...if you put it at 2.9 ( what almost every ram can do ) and you are still not stable drop it down to auto and up the CAS .5

repeat this progress till it's stable.... also try the RAS delay and stuff like that before upping the CAS to 3

so I could basically set my voltage to 2.8, and set my timings to optimal, then adjust the vcore for stability?

leave the ram at 2.8v and adjust the timings until stable

Hey all - quick question - how do I find out what voltage my mem can take (2x 512MB Geil 3200)?

I'm trying to overclock (only on 200x11 with a pre week 39 2500XP), but prime95 keeps crashing after a min or so. I got my Vcore on 1.725, and dont really want to go too much higher than that, and the Vdimm is on standard.

Is there any easy way, apart from fiddling & testing with the values, to find out which part of my setup (Vcore, Vdimm, FSB, mem timings etc) is causing te crashing, or is it just gonna be trial and error?!! Cheers

Cocksy