Wuxat.exe - What Is This?

crash

I have been having a problem with a file called wuxat.exe on my computer. It appeared around the same time i got sasser and avgserve. I've tried adaware, spybot, AVG, Pccilin, Mcaffee, stinger, norton and none of these find it.

If wuxat is running I can't open msconfig or regedit. So I shut wuxat down, de-select it in msconfig, edit my registry and remove all references to it. Something wierd though, I was snooping around in one of the wuxat reg entries and on the right-hand side of the binary(Hex) code window it says "wuxat - we own you"

Every time I remove this, (and searching my computer doesn't find any wuxat.exe file) within on or two more boot-ups it returns. I know that this is a malicious file because a)I can't get rid of it and b)when it is running my LAN connection and HDD's are firing up or running for no reason. I don't ever use any auto-update stuff and everything that wants internet access is supposed to ask zonelalarm for permission - -this wuxat doesn't. :angry:

by the way, there are basicly NO references to this file on the internet. The only reference I've found is another un-lucky guy who found a link on a french forum with the word wuxat.exe in it. I translated that page but everyone was like "use hijack this" or use msconfig" But no one knows what this file is or does or how to remove it.

Please help!!

I suggest you visit spywareinfo.com, they have a forum there and may be able to help you. It sounds like you may have a .tmp or .js file that is being invoked to reload that file upon reboot--hijack this may work, but I doubt it... you'll probably have to go through and delete certain java script files on your computer... seriously, read spywareinfo.com is the place.

Bruce

[edit: btw, RUN to your nearest store and get a linksys firewall router if you have the spare cash--I can't recommend this product enough]

Check for Sasser. Go here http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp and check to see if your system is infected. I searched the knowledgebase and it came up with this.

Its behaviour is also worm like, in its reproduction.

Cheers,

Yeah, I did have sasser when it first came out, I started noticing it's effects even before AVG had a fix for it. The third day AVG updated and found it. Since then I've used Stinger and updated windows to get rid of it. I think that this wuxat may be a leftover or something

Not sure if this will help but I found a bunch of references to the W32.Spybot.Worm when I searched for this.

Hope this helps some.

Sweet! I was looking at the guts of that wuxats hex and there was the word SPYBOT in there! I think you may have solved my problem but none of my AV progs can find it!