I Got The Wrong Card!

dang, i got the wrong card from this guy. He sent a 9500 instead of a 9500Pro. According to everst, the card only has 4 pixel pipelines, and not 8 like the pro should have.

how is the ram setup on the card?? if you have the L shaped ram u have a card that can be made into a 9700np. The ram has to be like the 9700 and the 9800 theres 2 on the top and 2 on the side if u dont understand what im talking about find a pic of the 9700 and look at how the ram is arranged. U might have gotten lucky!

Guest Nacho

Running a hardmodded L shaped 9500 myself, I've become a bit of an expert at this...

9500, black PCB, L shaped memory: Soft or Hardmoddable to 9700 np

9500, red PCB, L shaped memory: Soft of Hardmoddable to 9700 np

9500, black or red PCB, I shaped memory: Soft or Hardmoddable to 9500 Pro

Now, just because it's possible, doesn't mean that a specific card can handle it. Almost all I shaped cards can be turned into 9500 Pros, but the 9700 mods are about 50/50.

Also, once you do a hardmod you can flash to the BIOS of the video card you want and never have to use special drivers again. I'm currently running a 9700 Pro BIOS in my hardmodded card and reaching 373 core and 320 memory (CPU hsf on the core).

DarkScorpion, before you ###### to the guy about it I'd run the softmod (http://softmod.ocfaq.com/index.php) and see if your card can handle it (look for checkerboarding in a game or benchmark).

If it runs fine, you can ###### or just figure "Eh, it's running as if it were, no biggie."

Nacho

hell i woulda just bought a 9500 pro from the stroe and then turned that 9500 back in for a full refund...problem solved...

You can't get them at stores, ATI doesn't make them anymore.

Yeah, but I wish they still did though :( Somone look at my other post about just returning the 9500Pro and getting a refurbed 9800Pro or 9600XT (need best bang for buck)

Scratch what I said about the RAM being I shaped, turns out, its L shaped!!! Yeah, I REALLY wasnt paying attention when I was looking at it but now, when I was getting ready to pack it back up, I noticed it was an "L"!! So now, Im going to ATTEMPT the softmod, so wish me luck. A few questions though: 1) Lets say I softmod it, and all 8 pipelines show up in everest. So I go and run 3DMark01 (03 isnt installed yet) and it starts artifacting on 1 game test, but everything else is ok. Should I forget about it or try more benches? 2) If I get artifacts, could it simply be a cooling problem? I hope I turn this baby into a 9700 :P:P

Edited by DarkScorpion