Switching From 56k To Cable

Ste

I had a similar problem and aftr hours of searching I found out I was a trial firewall software I had installed long ago and didn't uninstall properly.

After some manual uninstalation, the DHCP protocol was able to reach the modem and obtain an IP address.

Do you have any software firewalls? or VPN clients? or did you use to have any of those and later unistalled them?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zonealarm and the pre installed XP fireall, but i turn them off when i try to get IP, i have norton as AV i had avasti to but i deleted all but 1 file of it

I just ran this senario with my laptop through a pcmcia card, and also works with my desktop. I intentionally screwed up the settings to make it not work, then I uninstalled all related drivers and internet settings (including those in "network" in the control panel.) First unplug the power cord for the cable modem and disconnect the cable (whatever it is) from the modem to the computer. Restart computer. Reload drivers for internal hardware, including the NIC card, but not the cable modem drivers. Restart computer. Then insert modem driver cd and follow it step-by-step. This should include selecting connecting cable, selecting direct or indirect cable connection (splitter for TV,) plugging in the modem, and connecting the cable from the modem to the computer in roughly that order as the software should provide. Remember, this hardware is extremely touchy for some reason; everything has to be done in the right order with no previous baggage (drivers and settings) to make it work. If this doesn't work, unplug the modem, let it sit for a minute as you shut off your computer. Then plug the modem back in, and once it has a link, turn your computer back on. If that doesn't work, with the computer on, call customer service and see if they can see your computer as being online or not. If they cannot see your computer or modem, then either they have the wrong numbers for your modem or there is a problem with the line. If they can, it's on your end. Refer to step one after a fresh OS install (last resort.)

Edited by a rabbit

Um, i had this guy remote access my computer for 2 hours and whatever he did he fixed it, im on cable right now and he said it had something to do the netbt service was disabled he had to modify some crap in local registry but it work, thanks