Switching From 56k To Cable

Ste

Alright. I go to get cable installed tonight, and to make a long story short, my computer and or cable modem cannot grab onto an IP therefore, even though it shows up as I am connected, i cannot however use any application that uses internet, anyways, The IP adress shows as 0.0.0.0 and when I try to repair it, it fails each time, now, the 2 cable ppl tried for 3 hours to get it to work, they could not. They told me that I must have somehow at sometime modified somethign somehow in my computer making my comp unable to obtain an IP adress, their suggestion was to contact Dell Tech support ( thats really funny) and or totaly reintall Windows, and when the problem is fixed come back to them and get cable once again. Any ideas, help, I am wondering if it would just be easier to reinstall XP, would that solove my problem? Heres my system information

XP, Pent 4, 2.00 Ghz speed, 256 RAM, 80 GB harddrive and msn as 56K program/broswer.

Plz Help, I can't stand 56K

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this mite have been done already but haveyou reset the modem

also were the techs at your home or on the phone when trying to make it work cause the modem could also be bad

another thing is to have them ping the modem to see if it is online or not

try uninstalling the nic card thru device manager maybe something wil lchange after the reboot. or maybe uninstall the drivers then reinstall with the latest drivers if you can get online with a 56k to do this

welcome to OCC ;)

did that fix it? because I had the same problem, but I resolved it by removing all protocols and then reinstalling the drivers. One of the protocols was set to 'shared'

They at my house, used 3 different modems, figured out its something wrong inside my system, and I don't have the modem and cables anymore, they took em back till i get it solved, so i cann't trouble shoot, anyone know what coulda caused this?

call those idiots and have them bring the modem back or go buy one yourself cause without it you will never know if it is fixed or not

and like FanATIc205 said go to your device manager and remover the nic the reboot the comp and see if that helps it should reinstall the nic for you when windows starts again

ahh that sucks i finnaly got fed up with them not coming out to install my moden so i went and boguth one. one thing is for sure the 3 times ive had installers come to hook my modem up before i bought one barely knew there way around a comuter. do you know if they were pluging the modem usb thru the usb or nic card