Which Speed Wins?

warl0rd

Which speed wins?

If you have a really fast ATA-133 HDD

and a slow ATA-33 CD-ROM on the same IDE cable,

Would the effective throughput for the channel be the speed of the slowest device?

I think the drive would still run at 133. But the problem with ide is that only one drive can use the ide channel at a time. So if your writing to the hard drive and playing something from the cd at the same time, things will slow down.

I think the drive would still run at 133. But the problem with ide is that only one drive can use the ide channel at a time. So if your writing to the hard drive and playing something from the cd at the same time, things will slow down.

:withstupid:

i've run ata133 hard drives on the same channel as a optical drive, and i'm pretty sure it didn't cause the hd to run at 33 speeds. that would be pretty darn slow

gotta remember that ide is a burst rate. it never actually runs at 133 for more than a fraction of a second. the difference a user sees between ata 33 and 133 is nearly non existant unless you're doing something that is chewing on the drives for prolonged periods of time. if you want sustained speed you NEED scsi.

OH and back to the original question, IDE does slow down to the slowest devices speed

I upgraded from a 20GB ATA100 drive...

Besides, now I can go with sata raid and use the old drive for backup storage, and still have my two optical drives on two different cables without sharing a cable with the main hard drives. Now the drives may only burst to those speeds, but average thoroughput can be higher than with a slower connection; in case you're wondering (probably not) I do use and move lots of big files, some up to 2GB.