Amd 64 2800 No Better Than The 2500 Xp

i got my 64 system running today and i noticed my fsb on my 2800 64 is only at 200(400 ddr) and its only got a 1.8 core speed so i was thinking this thing isnt all that much better than the regular 2500 at 1.8 with a 333 fsb.since im using a 32 bit os my cpu is running in 32 bit mode so this is just a regular 2800 with a lower clock speed and a higher fsb. im not impressed.if i had known this thing was only a 2500 with a 400 mhz fsb and the possibillity to run a 64 bit os i would of just kept my n force 2 mb and got a 3200 xp. i thought the 64 bit amd had an 800 mhz fsb. the fact that it can run a 64 os is not worth a crap without a 64 bit os.

Edited by clay31

claim your free years trial of 64bit operating system but of course you probably won't see the benefit of and programmes because they all take advantage of 32bit not 64 at the moment owning a 64bitchip only has the bonus of sayin "i own a 64 bit chip" but... it also comes with the bonus "i don't have to upgrade my chip for at least two years"

The onboard memory controller really helps with the bus bottleneck... I would be more then willing to assume that it scores higher in benches. Dual channel didn't do jack for athlon XP's memory scores, but the onboard on the A64 does wonders. Benchmark it and then make the call.

Yeah man, you can't just compare clock speeds...they are different chips. The memory performance will be a TON higher on the A64 chip. For example, with my AXP 2400+ at maximum overclock (11 x 215 = 2365mhz, and dual-channel ram) could only pull about 16500 in 3dmark01, while my A64 3000+ at stock speeds (2000mhz, almost 400mhz lower!) can pull over 18000. And with it overclocked, I can pull almost 19000.

BTW Vampire, a 2.8 prescott at stock speeds? Sorry man, that can't outrun the A64 2800+...MAYBE a northwood could take it at stock speeds.

Edited by Eva_Unit_0

i probably shoundt of been so quick to condem the 64. i was just a bit discouraged when i saw it only had 400 mhz fsb. all the searching i did over the net i could never find anything about the fsb other than it was intergrated into the chip and then when i saw 800 mhz fsb on my mb package i thought thats what my cpu would run at. can anyone tell my what 64 chip dose have 800 mhz fsb? the 3400? my 2800 64 is faster than my p4 2.8 e just using windows i can see a bit of a difference wich is amazing since thiers a 1000 mhz difference between the two. any way i am glad to be back on an amd platform B) . i never liked my p4 prescott couse of the heat(50c idle) and thats with an sp-94 with a 92 mm tornado and 4 80 mm tornados in the case. with my 64 i only get 31 idle thats wqith 6 generic 80mm regular case fans and a 12$ speeze heat sink. sorry u all had to listen to my angry rant.

i was just a bit discouraged when i saw it only had 400 mhz fsb. all the searching i did over the net i could never find anything about the fsb other than it was intergrated into the chip and then when i saw 800 mhz fsb on my mb package i thought thats what my cpu would run at. can anyone tell my what 64 chip dose have 800 mhz fsb?

Nobody has an 800mhz FSB chip stock...

All are using a 200mhz fsb w/ a multi so wth does it matter anyways....

Also, the A64 does not have a FSB at all, technically. The FSB is how fast the processor communicates with the memory controller (on the northbridge in conventional systems). Well, the memory controller for A64 is on the processor itself. The hypertransport on the A64 chips does indeed run at 800mhz, 1.6ghz ddr. That bus ends up having a max bandwidth of 6.4 gb/s. We have to remember that the architecture of the A64 chips is NOT like that of all previous chips.

bottom line imo is that these chips own. as someone said before they pretty much guarentee you won't need an upgrade for a while. and if ya want to overclock it just get an nforce3 250 to unleash its TRUE potential. lets see a 2500xp keep up with that :rolleyes:

Well IMO what I wouldda done in your case is chucked that prescott and got a 3.0c northwood, you have/had a killer mobo (the max3). The temps wouldda been WAY lower and you couldda hit maybe 3.6ghz+ easily, which I THINK would beat a athlon 64 2800 overclocked...