Sign in to follow this  
TRaGiK

Installing Linux Over Xp

I have a copy of Red Hat Professional Workstation and am wanting to try it out. Can I install it on my NTFS drive without losing everything or having to get a 3rd party drive partition program? Any help would be appreciated.

TRaG

EDIT: Anybody???? Edited by TRaGiK

You can't install it on your NTFS, it's a different file system.
but you can resize your NTFS using maybe Partition Magic,
and give some space for your RH.(if you have only one hdd)
there you go .. try it .. be careful .. (backup)

[quote name='JrLz' date='May 21 2004, 12:34 AM']You can't install it on your NTFS[/quote]
Umm... there are some distros that allow that in their install options. If my memory serves me correctly SusE and RH allow for installation on an NTFS partition.

There are several partioning programs out there, and they are usually part of the distro install apps. ASP, Mandrake, SusE and RH I know all come with one that doesn't take that long to learn. Do your research on google about setting the proper sizes for your partitions though.

To make my life easier though, I usually clear out some room on my partitions using Partition Magic before I start an install on a dual-boot computer. Edited by KraZy

I was considering doing the same thing- installing RH 8.0- on my NTFS drives. Would I be just as well off installing another disk just for RH or should I get a copy of Partition Magic and resize the partition on one of my exiting drives?