Abhorent Voltages - Why So High?

To get my 2800 Barton on my A7N8X stable, i need to jack up the Vcore to seemingly ridiculous levels. Why is this?

There are people here running on stock voltages and OCing hundreds of MHz. The highest FSB I can get without touching the vcore is 174.

I have no problem with fiddling with the vcore, bu i'm just wondering if there's a particular voltage 'threshold' where my chip will die in the ..

You can crank up the voltage as high as you want as long as your temps are ok. I have ran my chip at 1.9 for months now with no problems, and i know people that run theirs higher than that with no problems. It's all about the temps :D

You can crank up the voltage as high as you want as long as your temps are ok. I have ran my chip at 1.9 for months now with no problems, and i know people that run theirs higher than that with no problems. It's all about the temps :D

To be honest i think thats not really healthy on overclockers.com ive read an article on how vcore fiddling can kill ur cpu, or shorten its lifespan alot. I dont wanna rephrase what the article said but i really wouldnt wanna go over 1.8

it's true that OC'ing a proc well over stock settings can significantly shorten a CPU's lifespan, but how many people OC'ing their procs will want to hold on to them for more than four-five years? For that matter, people in that group may hold onto a proc no longer than two years. Overvolting can kill a proc, but it's hard to do that when it will crash first.

ive seen this site where they were showing noobs how to overclock the first things were alright, like multiplier stuff and fsb still, till he got to the point of changing voltages, the guy screwed the vcore up to 2.3 and sed go as far as you can i mean omfg thats just teaching ppl do destroy their pc.Ok if it wouldnt mind putting ur vcore high i would of done that aswell but i mean.. insane

I think it is the A7n8x mobo. I have the same problem and have since I got this board with my other proc. I have read others with the same problem in regards to voltages. I just ordered a Gainward 5950 golden sample so I have to wait for the DFI. I have seen others switch from an Asus mobo to DFI and get better vc on their procs than they did with the Asus. Besides you can't go past 210xfsb anything on the Asus if your lucky to get that high. Mine cra*s out at 208 with a blank boot and is starting be unstable at 205. :angry:

anyway my pennys! :blink:

:foldon: