Prebuild Upgrade Compatability

My friend has an eMachines T2692 with a 2.6GHz Celeron and we need to know if the BIOS will support us swapping in a P4a. Anyone know if it will work?

find out what mobo it is, and that will lead you to your answer.

emachines tech support is actually a pack of stoner chimps sitting in the middle of nowhere digging in thier arses

emachines tech support is actually a pack of stoner chimps sitting in the middle of nowhere digging in thier arses

Hence the reason I support Dell, they're a bunch of Indians digging in their arses, so they have more advanced problem solving...

A quick search on the eMachines website tells me that no, you are stuck with the Celeron that is stuck in there. And if a faster Celeron comes along, upgrading to that would be sketchy too. And besides, it has Integrated Graphics, do you really want to waste the money of sticking a P4 in there?

Well, according to eMachines, the chipset will support any Socket 478 with a 400 or 533MHz bus. Although it's never been tested, the eMachines BIOS is somewhat generic so that the one in there now is almost the same as the one in their higher model P4 machines. I'm gonna try and find someone with a P4a/b and see if it works. As for graphics, we've already upgraded those, but the Celeron is really holding our gaming back

Right. Celeron is just a labotomized p4. Half the cache. So in theory it should work. As with most intel boards, if it takes a celeron, itll probably take a p4.

Besides, does the store your buying the chip from have a return policy? If you can return the chip, take it home, test it out, if it doesnt work bring it back. No harm done.

Edited by andrusk

Well, I'm not sure with eMachines, but I know Dells. With a Dell, if you get their low end model, it is not upgradable to a Pentium. And there were some other ones that you could only upgrade with a Designated BIOS flash that made the Celeron not work. So, really, I guess you could try.