Building Computers For A Living

ok well i have a full time job but this would be like a side hobby for now, i was thinking about it, i enjoy building computers but since i cant afford to build myself a new computer every week or every month, i thought about puttin an ad in the local classified paper stating "need a new computer? call me! custom built to order, buy the best for less." something along those lines....i was wondering if anyone else considered this? i was thinking i could just order from newegg or price watch and get some peices relatively cheaper than bestbuy or compusa, etc. but then i thought to make it worthwhile i would need to charge an additional 25-50$ for my price on top of pure prices of components. so thinking roughly it would be either neck in neck or just like 30- maybe 100$ tops cheaper, havent checked just going off figures from my head. anyone else think it would work? or have anymore sites to look at for computers at like wholesale price? lemme know thanks:) or ad slogans.

that is exactly what i am doing at the moment but in the UK you gotta remember you will have to offer support and a decent warranty for that even if it is a hobby you gotta give people piece of mind see my thread some where on here think it was titled "new business name" or something similar i caused some big arguments LOL

its a good idea and it works i make

As long as you don't have a problem with fixing ppls computers for various reasons after you build them, while their parts are still under warranty, go for it!

Gotta remember companies like dell, etc. have 1-3 yr on site warranties..., that is the extra money ppl are paying for..

What i do is look for combos in the news paper, most of my systems are 2600+'s (including mine) I get MB/CPU combos for 90bucks and i get dual channel DDR pc3200 ram for 84. (same stuff in my sig)

I make good profit, but to honest, if you really wanna make cash, i make more for repairing then building

I make good profit, but to honest, if you really wanna make cash, i make more for repairing then building

P8Baller, how do you go about advertising? Just put an ad in the paper or something? Cause this is somthing i was thinking of doing. Do you do it from home too?

I'm going to jump in the middle here...

If you keep all the paperwork and boxes for the stuff in your basement or a storage place or something, its not big deal to have a warranty on the parts (just do an RMA...:P)

Do you have a cell phone? Use it as tech support. :P

I think a better way to do things is to make a couple rigs before you have a customer, overclock them, and sell them... no false advertising, just something like, "think all PC's are equal? Think again. I make these computers go faster than they're sold for anywhere else, guaranteed." People would get the performace of a $1000 Dell for $900 at a $700 cost to you, for example.