Blue Screen Of Death

My brand new computer just gave me the BSOD. I'm running XP. If I unplug the hard drive I can get a post beep and get into the BIOS. With the hard drive plugged in the motherboard logo freezes and I'm completely dead in the water. I'm fairly new to troubleshooting ... what should I try next? (I just built this computer, all the components are brand new, just out of the box.)

Here's the specs on this machine... Harddrive - Seagate 40GB EIDE, motherboard- Biostar Socket A with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Processor, Video Card-XFX GeForce2 64MMB DDR AGP, RAM- Ultra 512MB DDR 333MHz, Sound Card-Creative Labs 16PCI.

Hope this helps.

Try a cpl things. First try using a diff't Eide cord for your mobo.

If that doesn't help, try using a diff't slot on the mobo for your HD (i.e. try putting the HD in the secondary and not primary)

Also how many sticks of memory do you have? Is it 1 x 512mb or 2 x 256mb...

Just one stick of ram. Also, secondary slot... do you mean the one for my CDRom. Otherwise I only have the one slot for the h/d.

Yes pull your cd-rom's cable out, and put that ide cable for you HD in the secondary adapter.

When troubleshooting, try to remove as many parts as possible, while still being able to operate the computer.

OK - I changed the ribbon cable with a known good one from another machine and I plugged it into the secondary ide slot - nada. Also, I added a second hard drive configured as master and reconfiged the dead one as slave and again nada. I still cannot even boot up. I unplugged everything and can get into the BIOS. I'm beginning to think the dead h/d is really dead. Any other ideas?

so is the 2nd HD u hooked up oK? Im confused?

BTW the HD is most likely not dead, based on the fact that you got BSOD, if it was truly dead, it wont even post..

Maybe the mobo is not grounded well? IDK..

Best thing to do is remove everything from the case, make sure all your posts are correct, re-install mobo, and take it step by step from their.

Good Luck!

sounds like "windows is trying to protect your computer" whoever or were-ever you bought your computer from, they may have imaged the drive to a diffrent system and accidentally put it in yours, thus, screwing you... i would just reinstall xp

sounds like "windows is trying to protect your computer"  whoever or were-ever you bought your computer from, they may have imaged the drive to a diffrent system and accidentally put it in yours, thus, screwing you... i would just reinstall xp

Ummm no, windows has nothing to do with BIOS...

His hardware is locking and freezing up during his "mobo logo", thus it is hardware related.

Read his original post., and he said he just built the computer jeez. :rolleyes: