Sign in to follow this  
bigfnb

Operating System And Games On 10000rpm Sata

Im building a PC and i was thinking of having two 74gb 10000rpm HDD's . 1 for my games , and one for my OS. Should i assume that this would make the my games and OS run faster compared to a 7200 rpm HDD? I'm only worried because i want to know would it be a dramatic increase in speeed b4 i fork over the money?

TY

you would probably be better off with two 7200 rpm drives with at least double that size setup for sata raid. That's faster.

I would get 2 of those 10k Sata drives and run them in RAID vs the current setup you want.

That would be way faster.

And yes the OS will run slightly faster as far as multi tasking goes with the HD, than a 7200 HD...

10k drives might have slightly faster seek times, but their overall performance is the same as a 7200 drive

10k drives might have slightly faster seek times, but their overall performance is the same as a 7200 drive

IDK about that.. Overall performance is not the same.

Take a look @ this review

http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/wdraptor1.shtml

10k Raptor beats its 7200rpm predecessor, along with a 7200rpm IDE drive in EVERY test...

10k raptors are soo fast they beat scsi cards in alot of benchmarks....those are the best 10k drives period...200+ dollars a piece they dang well better be too lol i'd get two of em and shove em in a raid...if that isn't enough space for you buy a 7200rpm bulk drive... like the hitachi 400gb drive MaximumPC gave em a 9 and said if they were 10k drives they would have gotten a 10.

10k raptors are soo fast they beat scsi cards in alot of benchmarks....those are the best 10k drives period...200+ dollars a piece they dang well better be too lol i'd get two of em and shove em in a raid...if that isn't enough space for you buy a 7200rpm bulk drive... like the hitachi 400gb drive MaximumPC gave em a 9 and said if they were 10k drives they would have gotten a 10.

10k reptors NEVER beat SCSI nor ever will...

SATA uses burst of 150mb/sec vs simultanious SCSI @ 160mb/s or 320mb/s

You are mis-informed...

that benchmark ran a scsi, sata, and pata133 side-by-side. It had nothing to do with 10k vs. 7.2k.

You have to remember that the drive may spin faster than a 7.2k, but it is still a 150MB/s max transfer protocol. A faster spin lends to faster seek time but it still can only move the data out at the same fixed speed.

Edited by a rabbit

I could not find the rotation speed for the seagate, but WD produces better drives anyway. If you want a true comparison, find two SATA drives, the same size, one 7.2k and one 10k, and from the same company. This test of 7.2k vs. 10k was not scientific given that the test was not set up in that parameter.

Right now I have three SCSI drives: one for my OS, one for my games and one for my bulk storage. They are all 10,000rpm drives. Because my OS drive has super fast seek times, (windows XP is always looking for little files here and there,) <2.9ms, Windows applications tend to run quite a bit faster than when I was running PATA drives. Also, because my SCSI controller handles most or all of the proccessing for the HDDs', anytime I do a HD intensive action my overall system performance is hardly affected.

As for SATA, if you are dead set on Raptors, RAID will only really help when moving large files. If you do lots of video editing or something then RAID will be very benificial to you. However, you must remember that in a RAID setup sometimes your seek times can increase and slow overall performance down, (striped RAID not mirror.)

If you want your OS to be the fastest it can be and you don't mind a little more hardware, pick up a 18 GB 10,000RMP SCSI drive and run your os off of that. They're cheap and it will free up quite a bit of CPU cycles, seek times will be sweet, XP will love you. This can be a good alternitive to spending $350 x 2 for Raptors. I don't think raptors even have NCQ, (native command queing - hard drive is smart enough to prioritize instructions to increase speed, part of the reason SCSI is so fast,) wheras Seagate 7200.7 does - this is also one of the quietest drives in the world, 2 x 80GB in a raid array would be the fastest, in this case. You'll also save about $250.

crash

If you want your OS to be the fastest it can be and you don't mind a little more hardware, pick up a 18 GB 10,000RMP SCSI drive and run your os off of that. They're cheap and it will free up quite a bit of CPU cycles, seek times will be sweet, XP will love you. This can be a good alternitive to spending $350 x 2 for Raptors. I don't think raptors even have NCQ, (native command queing - hard drive is smart enough to prioritize instructions to increase speed, part of the reason SCSI is so fast,) wheras Seagate 7200.7 does - this is also one of the quietest drives in the world, 2 x 80GB in a raid array would be the fastest, in this case. You'll also save about $250.

crash

:withstupid: Thats exactly what I run on my Computer... except they are 18.4gb 15k Drives...

My gaming rig has u160 card, and my server has a u320 card all running 18.4gb 15k drives... :P