Need A Bit Of A Hand..

Okay, I've gotten jack of my system not running at it's optimal. I recently built myself a new computer with a AMD2800 Barton core, some sort of 512DDR Viking (apparently) PC3200 on an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe.

I've so far overclocked the CPU from 2080MHz to 2228MHz, fsb from 332 (external freq. 166) to 356 (external freq. 178) at 12.5 multiplier, vcore @ 1.775V.

Timings at 7 4 4 4

As far as I know, i should be able to pump this bi-atch harder, but when i go higher than this, windows keeps falling over itself, being unable to find files and not being able to start in general. Sometimes it blue-screen-of-death's me.

But the settings i have at the mo work well.

Anywho, is there something i'm missing, as to why I can't get higher. My mobo's capable of 400fsb, and i've good cooling and all that, so why can't i? any help would be awesome.

And while i'm here, how do I clock up my 9800XT without it artifacting like ###### in FarCry and Halo and other such hi-res games?

~The Stripe

Try uppging the vcore alittle, and has your motherboard got pci/agp lock?, because that's what it sounds like is the problem, files ect, but try voltage first, and watch those temps.

About the 9800XT, i'm afriad when it artifects like that it means the card is too hot, i think the REV3 Artic Vga cooler fits the 9800Xt's although i'm not sure, basicly you need better cooling, or lower the overclock alittle.

Good Luck. ;)

Thanks heaps dude. I'm a bit cautious about upping the vcore any more, i've been told that it's preferable to keep it below 1.8. Or is this jus because of stupidly high tempreatures?

Also, i'm not sure what the agp lock actually is. I can do many a thing in my BIOS. can you just give me the gist of what it may be called in there. and then what do i do with it?

Again, thanks heaps

~Stripe

The reson they, say keep below 1.8V is temps baicly, But if you have a good cooling setup, 1.85v or 1.875v will be okay, i ran my cpu at 1.9V and it was okay.

Now the pci/agp lock, in your bois it will say that or similer. it will also have a mhz rating next to it.

it must be set to 66Mhz no higher or lower, this is the main reson why pople with motherboards that do not support this fetur get problems with harddrives windows,ect. when they clock high FSB's. :(, lucly though my motherboard has this fetur. :).

I ran all three of my Bartons and a Thoroughbred at 2.0v for several months without problems.

The PCI/AGP Lock should be set to 33/66 in the BIOS. It may be set to auto, so that could be what is causing your problem.

I ran all three of my Bartons and a Thoroughbred at 2.0v for several months without problems.

Yeah, i saw a guy on another forum running his 2500 barton at 2.3V getting 3.1Ghz stable :blink:

Dood, it's important that you use the AGP lock or you could wreck your video card... on an a7n8x, in the bios on the main overclocking screen there is an AGP Frequency, set it to 66.

Also, the VCORE does seem a tiny bit high, but nothing to worry about. It may just not be a great overclocking chip. What kind of temps are you getting... have you been using Prime95 to test it?

Oh yeah, and those memory timings... I would really consider changing the last 4 to at least a 3. With PC3200 ram, I don't think you really need timings that relaxed... expecially the cas latency @ 4...

Bruce

First off, welcome to OCC Stripe, DON'T TOUCH THE LLAMAS!!!!! ;)

Second, can you give us the stepping code info on your CPU? Barton's are good, but Mobile Barton's are where the OCing fun is at :P Trust me...

Also, what kind of PSU are you using (specifically how many watts)? If the system aint getting enough juice, it'll mess up on you... Though I doubt that is your problem

Whelp, i've set the ol' agp lock to 66. First step complete!

i've now got my timings on 5-3-3-2T.

My PSU is a 350W Eagle. Apparently it's quite capable of running multiple HDDs, CD drives, and all the rest of my crap (says the dude who runs the computer shop i went to for it).

You see... I would screw around with my multiplier but the chip's locked. Where would i get the unlocking kit i've been reading about (not online)?

My CPU is family 6, model 10, stepping 0.

At the 1.775V i'm getting an idle temp of 48, stress (running prime95) a temp of 56. This is obviously a crap temp, but i'm running the stock AMD heatsink *piece of .*cough*piece of .*. I'm getting a new one thursday. I'm thinking a Jet7. I've read a couple of reviews on it, and they're very conflicting. One says it's pretty well leet, another says it's on par with most of the good coolers, and another says it's completely not recomended. But I like it :D

Just out of curiosity, how would i set the vcore higher than 1.85? (my BIOS options only go that high)

And what a helpful crew you are!

P.S. Don't worry, i won't touch your precious llama/s <_<

Hmmmm, I think Eagle is a generic PSU (correct me if I'm wrong guys), 350W isn't necessarily what you're getting constantly (for all I know the 350W is just peak which wouldn't be too great). Alot of your system specs based on your sig require a good amount of power (like that 9800XT, wanna trade? ;) ) , and your PSU may be maxing out as it is. I'd get a nice ThermalTake PSU, they're very reliable and have enough juice to power a friggin tank, anything 350W or above on a TT would be just fine :P

As for your CPU, it seems to be a good contender for OCing, just try to keep it nice and cool and pump that FSB. If you could give us the exact lettering/coding on the black sticker from your CPU, we could tell you how to go about OCing it best. The Jet7 is nice, but you'll need some overhead room and make sure the airway won't be blocked (might be a little tough do to it's intake placement). Either way, as many OCCers will tell ya, use a skin thin layer of Artic Silver 5 for best results. :D