Wireless Routers

Mangar

Just wondering what wireless router I should buy next... I have had a Netgear 814 but not had real good signal response, I want to buy a new router, but I wanted to ask the pro's what would be better. Any help would be appreciated.

i don't usually get too hung up on brand names, but i have had very good success with

linksys routers in the past. their new g series is very good. easy to setup and maintain

with very good, and consistent, signal. i have set up about 8 for clients of mine and

they all seem very happy. i hear the new motorola stuff is supposed to be pretty good

too, but haven't had any on hand experience yet.

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.as...cid=35&prid=601

I have this one and upgraded the firmware it works good with all my computers upstairs where it is, downstairs I could not get a signal strong enough with a linksys pci card with the rubber antenna, I had to put and orinoco card with an external jack and antenna to get a good signal, although I had this same one at my parents single story home and it reached all over the house, and out to the road in front a pretty good ways, and to the lake in the back yard, I think there is just to much stuff in the way between my bottom floor and second floor, because it has good range if nothing is in the way, I have run as many as 19 computers at once with it, I have 13 running right now, I like it but its the only one I have every owned so I do not know that it is the best or worse

One thing I disliked about the netgear was the 2db antena, and that you could not replace it. The signal/Range was not sufficient. I looked at replacement antena's only to find that the netgear was not removable :( With linksys I've heard that they have to re-boot often, is this true ?

One thing I disliked about the netgear was the 2db antena, and that you could not replace it. The signal/Range was not sufficient. I looked at replacement antena's only to find that the netgear was not removable :( With linksys I've heard that they have to re-boot often, is this true ?

Before I done the firmware upgrade I was having to reboot a lot, like every 2 or 3 days, since I upgraded the firmware I have not had to reboot it yet its been about 3 months I guess since I got firmware, and the antennas are removable on the linksys or on my model anyway

Thats good to know, I do like the feature of the linksys, I was worried about the rumors though. Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe that is what I will get. HOw is the config with that one, can you limit to certian MAC addresses?

I love my Linksys WRT54G router. The antennas are removable so you could replace them if you wanted to. Even before updating my firmware I rarely had to reboot. I haven't rebooted my router in about 4 months.

All Linksys wireless routers allow you to limit access to certian MAC addresses. Most wireless routers have that functionality built in.

The best wireless router that I have played with was actually a Microsoft Wireless base station. It ran consistantly for months on end and always gave out a good signal to every client.

The best wireless router that I have played with was actually a Microsoft Wireless base station. It ran consistantly for months on end and always gave out a good signal to every client.

Got a model # ? I want to research it.

I love my Linksys WRT54G router. The antennas are removable so you could replace them if you wanted to. Even before updating my firmware I rarely had to reboot. I haven't rebooted my router in about 4 months.

All Linksys wireless routers allow you to limit access to certian MAC addresses. Most wireless routers have that functionality built in.

Yes I have the same one, that WRT54G even though it has mac filtering and wep it can be gotten into, they can sniff the packets and spoof the mac address if they want in is what I was told, the WPA or WAP is supposed to be better than WEP, and there are some new 802.11i coming out I think next year that are supposed to be more secure, I think the government is even going to accept it, so I heard

what I was told, the WPA or WAP is supposed to be better than WEP, and there are some new 802.11i coming out I think next year that are supposed to be more secure, I think the government is even going to accept it, so I heard

Wow, thats good new to hear. When will the hardware be there?