1st O/c

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My OCZ is also cas 2.5, I have the 4200 and its only gurateed to do 250 on 1:1,

Um, no. OCZ PC4200 EL (their only 2.5cas pc4200) will definitely do 267@1:1. I've done it on 4 motherboards. In fact, I use it as my "baseline". If the OCZ works and the other RAM doesn't, the other RAM is garbage. If the OCZ doesn't work, the CPU is garbage or the cooling/voltage is insufficient.

That OCZ PC4200 EL is the best RAM on earth as far as I'm concerned.

So why can't my RAM (OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 / 500MHz / Gold Edition) hit 250 @ 1:1? I don't understand & I'm confused! - what is holding me back?? My CPU?

Edited by p3rfect

did you make sure you set the cas latencys yourself. when i first got this kingston pc4000 it wouldnt do 250 but i found the auto detect SPD rom was setting the ram to cas3 -3-3-8 when it should of been cas3- 4-4-8. if you think your ram is bad rma it to ocz for a newset

I've tried it on all kinds of settings, it's back on auto for now... and is running at 2.5, 4,4,8 performance mode disabled. I set VDIMM to the highest it will go - 2.8 i think.

What settings should I try, would be the most stable?

*EDIT*

I ran Memtest+ a few times @ 250FSB:

Auto VDIMM

By SPD = thousands of errors after 5 minutes.

2.5,4,4,8,8,auto,auto,auto = thousands of errors after 5 minutes.

2.5,4,4,7,8,auto,auto,auto = thousands of errors after 5 minutes.

2.85 VDIM

2.5,4,4,5,8,auto,auto,auto = Ran for 30 minutes / 4 passes until I restarted.

What do you make of that. Isn't OCZ gaurenteed to run at 250 1:1 2.5,4,4,7 at stock voltage??

Edited by p3rfect

Okay, so if I'm in the process of OCing my barton, and it's getting a little unstable, will loosening the memory timings (making the numbers bigger?) give me more stability?

And then, is that stability interchangeable for vcore stability? I'm at the most vcore i can get without modding my board, so i think i need to loosen my timings to get higher than the 185 i'm on at the mo.