Linux Noob Needs Debian Install Help

Iggy

I'm *attempting* to install Debian on my second hard drive on a seperate patition using the LordSutch.com ISOLINUX mini-ISO, but I can't get my system to boot off of the CD. I burned the ISO using Nero 5. My system will scan the CD drives and then just go right to the main HDD. This is my first experience with Linux, so I dont know much. What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Check your boot order in your bios and make sure that your cdrom first. If that doesn't work, then make a Linux boot disk and try the cd's from there. Go to LinuxISO for information on the different Linux distribs and their various boot disks. Any linux boot disk will do, but a Debian one would be best since that's what youre using. Once it boots off the disk, it should say something like install or setup, and you can choose to install off of the cdrom. One last thing to check. Make sure that the ISO's that you downloaded are for PC's and not Macs. The ISO should have x386 or something like it in the title. There. I tried. If none of this worked, then I don't know.

Guest FxXP

That site (LordSutch) makes reference to m68k distros which stand for Macintoshes that used older Motorola 680x0 based CPU's, way before the PowerMac's came out. If you want Debian ISO's, search google for "index Debian ISO" or something similar. Thats how I find fast downloads for a majority of my Linux ISO's.

Edited by FxXP