Creative Inspire

Hi all,

I have Creative Inspire 5500 5.1 speakers, but my sound card lets me down a bit i reckon. It's a Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1. Im thinking of getting a new sound card but im not too sure which one to get as my speakers have a decoder. Im also using the optical connection for my sound, whats the difference between that and coaxial? :huh:

optical is pure digital, coax is broadband, and the decoder is most likely a digital (s\pdif) output decoder. You really don't need that stuff because you sound card is well below that level (if i'm thinking of the right card.) Get a SB Audigy2 ZS, great card and definitely good enough for digital out.

Edited by a rabbit

Well i use the decoder which came with my speakers, it is s\pdif. So is optical better than coaxial? Im just asking cause there arent many sound cards with the optical port and most of the use coaxial. I was thinking of going with the Audigy 2. Ill find some reviews on it and shop around, thanx for the info, didnt think anyone was gonna reply :P

All i know is that optical is definately better than coaxial but u need the right speakers and soundcard to match to get a good sound. Us people probably won't hear the difference between the two unless you're a crazy audiophile.