Erasing All Data And Frying A System With Emp

legit

so, i was thinking the other day. i was in my computer class and reading this article about Electro magnetic pulses and how they effect electronic devices. so i wanted to ask if anybody knew if this would work. if you took a hole bunch of capacitors and stored a ton of energy in them then hooked it up to your computer just wherever you could make an electrical connection then if you hooked up a switch to control their flow. if you flipped the switch and all of a sudden all that energy flowed through your computer it would basically ruin everything in the computer render it inoperable and erase all of the data... right? am i understanding this EMP thing right...

anyways my brain is tired of thinking abstract computer thoughts...

- legit

no it would only turn the system off. if i rember correctly.. i dont think it would erase date. it would be kinda like turnin the PSU off with the switch.

Correct me if im wrong

you can render a system inoperable with a lot of things but it takes something special to erase "all" data on a disk.

I think there was a therad about that somewhere :unsure:

I was in a gourp that did a presentation in psysics 109. EMP would trash everyting it came in contact with, melt batries,fry electronics, mess-up the power grid, ect. I din't know about the HD but the rest of the comp would be junked. Pritty much knock you back 200 years, good times. There was an article in Time Magazine about a weapon that uses that about a year ago, I don't remember whtch month.

no it would only turn the system off. if i rember correctly.. i dont think it would erase date. it would be kinda like turnin the PSU off with the switch.

Correct me if im wrong

DUde!!! Didnt you see the matrix trilogies?!?! EMPS were their only line of defense!!!

And that really happened too!!! The matrix has you!!!

When a nuke explodes Kobalt, EVERYTHING gets trashed :P

No seriously, the radiation generated from the nuke would mess up communications equipment and the like pretty bad.

As for EMP, the way it works is sort of like the flash on a disposable camera... The cell (or in this case mag retainer) stores up a shitload of electricity (to some extent this part is the same but for arguments sake we'll say an EMP holds magnetic energy) and then fires it all off in one shot which is why the flash on a camera is so bright. An EMP blast doesn't effect humans or animals, but anything containing heavy amounts of metal will absorb the magnetic energy that was let out so much that it will overheat and melt the metal... There are certain defenses against EMP blasts though (called magnetic shielding). Basically it's just a thick metal (usually steel) surrounding that doesn't touch the electrical components. The magnetic radiation is absorbed by the steel and will keep cycle the radiation until it dissipates.

Well I hope our lesson in electro-magnetism has been enlightening, join us next time when we teach you how to make a bomb out of lint, a paperclip, and a monkey ;)

If you took those Capacitors and connected them to a coil of wire around your computer and discharged then, the current passing thru the wire will generate a EMP at right angle to current flow and significantly affect Temporary memory, and if powerful enough theoretially clean the disk . Example,, If you go near high tension wires with a coil of wire you can get a current in that coil just standing there in the EMP field of the HTW. Radiation is not EMP Electro-Magnetic_force nor the cause of EMP, so eaisily confused.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that what happends when a nuke explode? :unsure:

Which is exactly why some (if not all) Russian MIGs during the cold war era had no solid-state electronics on board. Vacuum tubes all the way, baby!

The idea was that tubes can withstand EMP much better than transistors and ICs, but they took up a lot of room an pumped out a lot of heat. :)

If you took those Capacitors and connected  them to a coil of wire around your computer and discharged then, the current passing thru the wire will generate a EMP at right angle to current flow and significantly affect Temporary memory, and if powerful enough theoretially clean the disk . Example,, If you go near high tension wires with a coil of wire you can get a current in that coil just standing there in the EMP field of the HTW. Radiation is not EMP Electro-Magnetic_force nor the cause of EMP, so eaisily confused.

eletromagnetic waves are a type of radiation...not all of it is deadly/harmful.

radio waves, radar, microwaves, x-rays, laser light

if i remember nuke explostions 2 different types of E-M waves...i don't know how they're related to the EMP. since the EMP won't kill you, unless you have pace maker. its either the 2 waves or 1 particle.

A nuclear detonation primarily sends out radiation; most other effects, including heat flash, atmospheric blast, radioactive fallout, comes from that. But it does put out an EM pulse in the form of a shockwave, enough to knock out electronics and power stations not destroyed by the heat flash or physical damage. That pulse, though, is not enough to melt metals or destroy hardened electronics. As for the hard drive, you would need a continuous-wave EM field to wipe data, this will revert all of the data blocks to the same state. Applying wires to a circuit and sending massive amounts of electricity to it can fry a circuit, but that is not EMP.