Big Question!

Hey Over-Clockers,

I am a little noob in an away. I just finished building my P4 3.2G 800Mhz FSB PC and I am using this HeatSink ( Link ) My question is what software or what do I have to do to over clock my P4? I want to over-clock it the safity way! But I want to try to get the max out of my P4. Can you overclockers tell me how to do it?

Welcome to OCC! Sounds like you've got some good stuff to work with. Overclocking success is primarily determined by what mobo you have...what kind is it? If it's something based off intel's 865/875 or SIS's 655TX then you'll be in the best shape for overclocking. Anyway, avoid overclocking within windows like the plague...it is VERY buggy and will usually end up trashing your installation of windows if you aren't careful. Overclock using your bios. Before we go too much further, we need to know the specs of the rest of your system, mainly the mobo and ram.

Oh, BTW, is that processor a Northwood or a Prescott?

As Eva_Unit_0 said, welcome to OCC. I also agree with everything he said, we pretty much need to know that stuff before we can help. But before you ask any other questions I would recommend you read the OC FAQ on this page (Here) to at least get you familiar with the basics of OCing and the terms.

Filth

Well this is what I have in my System

O/S - windows XP Home

Memory - PC3200 2x 256MB DDR Dual.. So it's = to 512MB

Hard drive - 160GB WesternDigiel 8MB

Video Card - GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR

Sound Card - Sound blaster 5.1

MotherBoard - Asus P4P800 Deluxe

CD-roms - 52x32x52x16x LD burner/dvd player

2 CD-roms - 52x CD rom

T.V. tuner

oh and I got bored and I did this to my cables Link

That's it

ok just slowly up the fsb inside the bios under advanced chipset features...keep going til it won't POST...then knock it down by 20 and let it burn in for like 1-2 days...then slowly go back up to where you were when it couldn't post....if you still can't post then up the voltage until you can...continue until that doesn't work anymore...then try to run a divider on the ram...and keep upping it

probably, just dont do anything stupid. although failure stories are often funny and a learning experience, albeit an expensive one. just do it slowly. and get some benchmarks and stress tests like 3dmark01/03, prime95, sisoft sandra's burn-in, prime95, [email protected] (:foldon:) , yadda yadda yadda...

good luck and welcome

Also Welcome... Nice choice of motherboards, If you get the bug there are some "mods" for that board to increase the ram voltage and one to stabilize the vcore voltage, just search our topics for the details. I have had good success with that board, but without those mods you might be limited to how far you can OC. What type of ram do you have?(brand)

I think that BerZerks explaination of how to OC is perfect. However, I have an AMD system, and they definitely run better without cpu/mem dividers. Do you have any advice on the best way to find a stable OC for an AMD system at 1:1?

this is what I got when I over-clock it...

oh by the way what software is good to tell how cold your CPU is running? Because I don't hit to damage my CPU in this over-clocking.

Edited by coolfox31

Here ...

O/S - windows XP Home

CPU - P4 3.2G 800Mhz FSB ( Heat Sink )

Memory - Corsair XMS PC3200 2x 256MB = 512MB DDR Dual.. So it's = to 512MB

Hard drive - 160GB WesternDigiel 8MB

Video Card - GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR

Sound Card - Sound blaster 5.1

MotherBoard - Asus P4P800 Deluxe

CD-roms - 52x32x52x16x LD burner/dvd player

2 CD-roms - 52x CD rom

T.V. tuner

I also have 2 fans pulling air out of the case and 1 fan on the side putting air in the case. My question is, can I over-clock my CPU 20% then it is? So that would might be 3.7 or 3.8. Would it be save and run well?