Sign in to follow this  
NyCUnDaGroUnD

Bigger Hd Size, Longer Boot-up Time?

is it true if u have a larger HD size, like a 120 giger and a 60 giger, the 60 giger would boot-up faster then the 120 giger?

Im thinking of ditching the scsi for the WD SE hard drives.

any recommendations?

If you ask me, yes...

I dont know what other ppl will say, but I've found you can dramaticly lessen your boot time by partitioning your bigger hard drive into a smaller boot partition... I have a 40gig w/ a 7gig or so partition for my windows2000 and it boots a lot faster... Ive noticed this on many other systems... but then again my friend is running a 100gig hd and no other partitions and it really doesnt take too long, but I bet he could cut his boot time down....

Yeah, I'm going to be running a setup with my 60GB 7200rpm as the secondary drive, with about a 8GB or so with system files on it. Things seem to work better this way. All I have to do is get my 8GB drive back from Ronin.....

im thinkin of getting the WD 100gb and dividing it in half for Windoze XP and Linux. Is the 100 giger too much or should i just get a 80 giger and make it into 2 partitions for Windoze XP and Linux. ??

Aren't the 120GB's about the same price as the 100's?

Anyway.. I wouldn't split the drive in half like that.. I would put 75% of the space for the OS that you will be using the most, and the other 25% for the other OS. That way, the space isn't wasted :/

The ideal way to do is, put 75% for your windows OS. Because with linux you can access fat32 or ntfs from within linux. So you could store things on it. Good idea, since windows can't see linux partitions at all.

I kinda got a lil confused cause Im bored right now, but what I'd do is if you're gonna dedicate %75 or a big drive to windows, make the partition for just windows pretty small to decrease boot time, make another partition for installing programs and storing files, and another for linux....

I have my main drive in my windows box setup with 3gigs to windows OS and the rest to programs :) Works very well!

I can easily do the regular format and fresh install of windows once a month alot easier now :)

hmmmm that sounds like a good idea...

mine is set at 8 and im using 2.1 , I install a few things to it when Im lazy

or if I feel it ties in w/ the system some how...

I just made restore discs for i am to poor to buy a second hard drive... i have a 120 gig hd(w/ 8mb cache) it has a 10 gig boot partition ... when my pc starts to get slow or screws up i pop in personalized restore discs and boom back to the original state

All my drive I normally don't use any partitions over 10G... except one that has the MP3s on it...

Make it easier for me to manage... For example, my main system is set up like this:

C (10G) - OS andapplications (Flash, IE, Office, Mozilla, etc.)

D (10G) - Games.... only games

E (10G) - Misc files... extra space

F (10G) - Videos and movies

G (10G) - Ripped music and unverified MP3s

H (10G) - Downloads... any programs I donload... Usually gets burt to a CD as a 'utility disk'

All my drive I normally don't use any partitions over 10G... except one that has the MP3s on it...

Make it easier for me to manage... For example, my main system is set up like this:

C (10G) - OS andapplications (Flash, IE, Office, Mozilla, etc.)

D (10G) - Games.... only games

E (10G) - Misc files... extra space

F (10G) - Videos and movies

G (10G) - Ripped music and unverified MP3s

H (10G) - Downloads... any programs I donload... Usually gets burt to a CD as a 'utility disk'

Sounds like you have the right idea :)

I have mine just setup

C: system OS only

D: program files, games, all installed apps.

the rest of my drives are for.. "video editing" :)

and stuff i download