Sign in to follow this  
xtry51

Laptop To Desktop Using Lan Cable

Ok, I have a laptop and a desktop that I want to be able to transfer files back and forth from using just the LAN cable. Neither is hooked to the internet and I don't have a hub or router. Both running XP, Pro on the desktop, home on the laptop (I know, home sucks). I can't figure out how to get it to work. I've tried using the networking wizard, but it's not working or I'm doing something wrong. I'm googling as well, but haven't found a page that tells the step by step.

Ditto on the crossover cable. Lets get into some cable basics while we are at it..

Remember that each pin on an RJ45 connector does something ... in our case, the ones we need to look at, are the transmit (TX) and the recieve (RX). If you use a plain network cable to try to do networking, you are basically hooking up the TX to the TX and the RX to the RX on both computers. It aint gunna work. A crossover swaps the TX/RX wires on one side of the cable so TX goes to RX and vise versa. Simple, hu?

Ahhhh.... I see. Ok, I will be purchsing this so called crossover cable. Then what happens? Will the comps automatically see each other in network neighborhood? Or do I need to use the wizard?

Im having problems with this too, i hook up an ethernet cable to the ethernet ports on the lappy and the desky. I've had it working before but every time i try to transfer files like a week later one wont see the other on the network. The only thing that i could think of was my firewall blocking it as i had reinstalled zonelabs and had to reconfigure it. But the laptop still cant see my comp. What gives?

I've set up the home network on both computers again and still, they dont see each other :(