Next Gen Questions...

I have a few questions that I can't really find answers too. With the new BTX form factor coming out it should lower the prices a bit on ATX but I don't really want BTX because they won't have very many of the cool cases. I was hoping to get like a Xaser Lanfire for a new case but its ATX. Well anyways the questions...

1. Will there be any ATX motherboards with PCI Express for graphics slots?

2. Will socket 939 be a BTX motherboard or ATX?

Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTX still isn't a definte standard, as Intel thinks it is because they have money and AMD says hell no cuz without, Intel's put out too much heat. I'd go ahead and buy stuff now, cuz if you wait for new stuff all the time, you'll wait forever.

*this is ghost at darkness's house too lazy to log in on his name*

Well I wasn't sure cause I read numerous reviews on BTX. So if AMD is saying they don't want it as a standard, is it a yes that they will have PCI Express graphics slots on ATX motherboards? Or will I just have to wait and see?

i want to get the 6800 ultra when it comes out in june. It's AGP 8x....how quickly will PCI express come around, and how much better is it really? If i spend $500 to get the 6800u, i sure as hell don't expect to be buying a new card for at least 2-3 years.

Well after this NVidia and ATI are only going to make PCI Express cards. This means that in 2-3 years you will also have to upgrade your mobo and your processor. :( Thats why if I get a new computer I want it to use PCI Express because then things will be easier to upgrade in the future. :)

grrr. i really wanted to get a top of the line comp next month...in time for Guild Wars ;) and also, so i could play either ut2k4 or bf:v right now..whichever i decided...and then hl2 and doom3 when (if?) they come out. Oh and possibly even get FarCry, since i've heard it looks amazing....shrug...basically i just want to GAME! lol. i haven't been as "hardcore" since leaving college....mainly due to network restrictions. But since i'm getting broadband soon, it would be nice to play the newer games instead of resorting back to CS (which for me is still hella fun...but still...)

owell.... enough of my ranting.

Guest ThermalGuru

Until FSB's reach over 1000mhz, there is no point in changing to BTX. You won't have memory readily available to run it well for one thing. Hell, I could go on and on about that CRAP BTX form factor. Just like Prescott was suppose to have 64 bit technology. I would suggest to you guys to wait at least 8 months minimum after those boards are up and running to even think about getting in that arena. If they show up at all. Intel is starting to get on my nerves with all this stuff trying to out-do AMD! The only reason AMD is a worry now is because they are starting to go world wide like Intel. So now they are starting to use "Nvidia" marketing tactics to keep people interested. That totally ticks me off because unless you are on the net quite a bit and doing alot of research, you wouldn't know any better. They are playing on that and it's not right. Even though I continue to be an Intel person right now, it's only because it's faster than AMD. When AMD gets out something that can beat Intel, I'm outta here!

Edited by ThermalGuru