Northbridge Overheating

OK Don't know what else to do. Obviously I am having problems with my NB (Title) and I need some help here. I am using the stock hs, tried as5 and some generic stuff (didn't make a difference) and no, I don't have a temp probe so I can't be certain but my system instability is the giveaway.

I use Hardware Doctor for my temp monitoring, it's treated me well in the past. Now I have a new LP, so it might be the chips responding differently but it reports the "System" (Northbridge in this case) as high as 37C! The BIOS gives me the same thing. Now I have done about 5 reapplications on this thing, 3 with as5 (what a waste) and 2 with some generic stuff I got with my VGA silencer (ironically it performs better). I have a Zalman bracket blowing air on it and the ram with a 80mm at 7v, not a whole lot of air but better than conventional passive. Also, the stock HS has never been this bad, in the past I put on some Ceramique and the temps were 10C lower (at load). I'm not looking to lap it, I'd rather upgrade. Also I looked through the forums and couldn't find anything as specific as this, I've tried all the suggested remedies.

My question here is, what's the deal? Should I just get a new NB Heatsink? If so what one? I'm not entirely clear what the best solution for NF2 is, I have seen a few variations but I'll wait to hear from you guys to see what's best ;) Thanks as always!

I know before I got a water cooling block for my northbridge the stock heat sink on the asus board was pretty warm, I bought a small fan that had some double stick side tape and put it on there, or buy your own fan and tape, and from then on it was cool to the touch room temp I guess. you may try that, and the A.S.5 takes about 200 hours to fully break in and work like its supposed to

Special K i feel your pain ! I have the infinity and from what i can tell nobody really knows Which sensor actually is the NB temp. I have tried winbond 3 and 5 but they dont seem to be it. If you nitice the temps will pretty much mirror your diode temp + - 1 degree. Its really wierd but until DFI gets the sensor equations down pat i think all we will have is a best guess. Amdmb forums have some threads on this Try this

Wow guys thanks a lot for the help! That Swifttech looks a little overkill :P but if I had the extra dough I would definetly get it. The thing about the Microcool is that it comes with chipset cooling stuff for the Mofsets as well. Anyways, I'll get MBM and see if those temps are right, maybe I won't have to get a new heatsink :crosses fingers:

ccokeman thanks a load for the link! That helped clear some things up :) Will post temps after restart...

It took me a while to actually put down the $ for a good NB cooler, but now that I have it integrated into my water cooling, I can really tell the differance in my system stability. I don't think I will ever go back to stock cooling for my NB again. My advice is clear, get the best you can afford. Because something is always better than nothing.

I would personally recommend this one (and from this place if you're in the US). The thing is, make sure to use the factory white goo instead of AS5. The north bridge chip itself dips in the middle instead of being completely flat, so it would take a thick coat of AS5 to actually touch the heat sink, and AS5 should never be thick. Just put a big glob on the chip (perhaps spread it a little) and attack the heat sink. Only part I didn't like was mounting the bracket to the hs (tiny screw + large hand = trouble)

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?Produc...ryID=6&Keyword=

Edited by InvaderTrax

One thing I did for my P4 Asus board was just sand the paint off the bottom of the stock HS. By doing this I was able to OC much higher, thus it was removing more heat off the NB. Something to consider. I know I never expected the results that I got by just sanding the paint off to get to the bare metal.

Right now, I'm running about 33 C load, waiting for the paste to settle. The reviews I read said I should settle in around 30. I think OCC even has a review of this hs if I'm not mistaken

*edit* They did a review of this heat sink predecessor, which still did pretty well: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/zm...ipsetcooler.php

Edited by InvaderTrax