Nforce 2 Chipset Cooling

The heatsink on my nforce 2 chipset was getting pretty hot....so I pulled the 2 plastic tabs out of the mobo and pulled the heatsink off. I cleaned the crappy white pad they had on there off....then applied some artic silver 5 to the bottom of the heatsink and re-applied the heatsink to the chipset. Is this ok???? It seems to be running cooler now. :foldon:

so long as you didnt get AS5 on any thing but the heatsink and NB chip then it sould be fine use a temp prob to see if it is running cool or not though thats the best way

yes it is a very good idea.... the problem is this....

many nForce northbridge chips are concave....(mobo brand doesn't matter) so a thin layer of AS may not be enough....

I put on AS5 then gently set my heatsink on the northbridge until I saw that it was contacting well....

also here is a catch,,, if your heatsink is cooler than before..that my not be a good thing,,,

a warmer heatsink means it is pulling more heat off of the northbridge, a cooler heatsink "could" mean it is not pulling as much heat off of the northbridge chip

I just felt it and it is slightly warm but my volcano 12 blows directly on it. Does anyone know of a good chipset cooler with a fan? I tried the iceberq 4 but it will not fit...I am using a gigabyte 7n400l mobo

Take the little heatsink on the mobo, lap it (if it originally had a thermal pad on it), put AS5 and put a 40mm fan on the HS. Big HS's like that swiftech one is really overkill for an nForce system since it wont be reaching insane FSB's (like and intel) but if it floats your boat, go ahead and get it. The Microcool Northpole Cooler probably won't cool AS good as the swiftech, but it's certainly enough. Plus, it comes with MOSFET and PLL chip coolers, which is a nice bonus.