Which Should I Upgrade To?

Well, once I get some $$$ this summer I want to upgrade to a new mobo and processor and stuff. This is prolly the same question that has been repeated over and over again in this catagory, but I am wondering if it is really worth it to go with an athlon 64 or stick with their highest rated XP processor(xp3200 400)? I mean, all my applications are still 32 bit, so will I even see any speed advantage going with a 64 bit processor? I know the 64's clock speed is rated just a little higher, but overall which processor is going to make my applications run the fastest?

The athlon 64 is faster than a athlon xp in pretty much every application I believe. They don't cost that much more than the top end athlon xp and are more future proof. To be honest m8 ur better off waiting for the next gen stuff to come out using the btx form factor and the socket 775 p4's (and whatever the next athon will be). The prices of current and this years stuff will fall dramatically. However if you can't wait the best chip at the mo is probably the p4 3.2/4 e. I no at the mo the prescotts arn't working out as fast as the borthwood p4's but give them time and when the new sse3 istruction sets are put into programs they will storm ahead. Best overclockers too just make sure you have decent colling thou cos they run 10 ish degrees hotter than the p4c.

I definetly wouldn't go with a 3200+ XP because for the same price u can get a 2800+ 64 Bit which would probaly beat the snot out of the 3200+ XP in any benchmarks or applications.

And if your not desperate for a new system i would wait a while and see the performance and price of all the new stuff coming in the next 2 months.

I definetly wouldn't go with a 3200+ XP because for the same price u can get a 2800+ 64 Bit which would probaly beat the snot out of the 3200+ XP in any benchmarks or applications

How overclockable are the 2800s?

Edited by xboarder