Sign in to follow this  
Vic Mackey

Heatsink Install Problem

Sigh... ok I removed the stock heatsink and cleaned cpu with alcohol. i tried to apply ac5 and it accidently got alittle on the brown surface of the chip. so i used alcohol to try and clean that up. will ac5 harm the cpu surface? so i put the extreme volcano 12 on and had problems getting the one clip on that requires a screwdriver. now i know i should have removed the mobo from the case but thats alot of crap to remove lol... the heatsink shifted some and so i picked it up and tried it again. so after about 30 minutes of trying i finally got the heatsink installed. so i hooked everything up and turned on computer. it starts one continuous beep and after about 10 seconds it shuts itself off. what did i do wrong? the fan on the volcano DOES start spinning... :( help me please!

Try reseting the CMOS.

If that doesn't work, remove the heatsink, and make sure you didn't crack the core.

Make sure you installed the hs right.......maybe the temp jumped and it shut down to prevent you from frying the cpu. I had a hard time with both my volcano 12's...I took the fan off and just installed the heatsink then installed the fan, it was alot easier that way.... Don't force anything, you don't want to crack or crush the die

Make sure you installed the hs right.......maybe the temp jumped and it shut down to prevent you from frying the cpu. I had a hard time with both my volcano 12's...I took the fan off and just installed the heatsink then installed the fan, it was alot easier that way.... Don't force anything, you don't want to crack or crush the die

yes take it slow, and do remove teh fan, its a lot easier that way.

ok ill try that. should i put more arctic silver 5 on? and will getting arctic silver 5 on the outer surface of the cpu harm it? i tried cleaning it with alcohol and q-tip.

ok ill try that. should i put more arctic silver 5 on? and will getting arctic silver 5 on the outer surface of the cpu harm it? i tried cleaning it with alcohol and q-tip.

i prefer artic silver ceramique. its not cundcutive and won't hur anything if u get it on the bridges of the cpu. as5 i conductive and might harm it if u get it on teh bridges.

When I put my as5 on.....I used an old expired credit card, put a small dab on the die and spread it in 1 direction nice and thin, then went the other way until the whole die was covered with a thin layer.....put the heatsink on the chip and clamped it down.......depending on how much room you have you may have to take the board outa the case...I had to with mine, not enough room for my hand and a screw driver........ :D

I had a hard time with the v11 on my wifes computer took the fan off and still was a bear but it did go on. Do you have the step on the heatsink mating up with the step on the cpu socket?

well i removed the mobo and volcano 12 fan to mount the heatsink (man it really was easy once it was out of the case rofl) sheesh what an ordeal lol :lol: so now my idle temp is 41C on cpu die. tho i just put on new as5 so it has to be broken in. it might be better if i could do better wire management and i only have 1 exhaust fan. im gonna try to cut a blowhole sometime, i just have to work up the courage to do it :lol: hehe when i got everything back in the computer and turned it on it would work for a few seconds then shut off. so i cranked the volcano to full power and it stayed on. i had to reset default bios to get it to boot to windows. it works fine now whew :D Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I put my blowhole in before I had the dremel...I drilled a hole in the top where I wanted it, traced out the fan and screw holes.....then used a big old pair of tin snips and cut the circle, filed down the edges and installed the fan, looks great....but now I am spoiled with the dremel....i just keep cutting holes in my case :blink::blink::blink: