Guild Wars

slugbug3311

:huh: About that 3 day E3 trial. well.. im worried that the servers are going to be over crowded. do you have any idea how they are gonna prevent that? they could do limited keys but that wouldn't be cool.. (Curse you WOW Curse you!!~)

No the servers won't be overcrowded. Although there is a persistent world, maps/missions are instanced. I like to think of it as like battle.net for DII, but instead of a stupid chat system, it's a full-fledged 3d interactive world.

Anyways, you get a group of up to 8 players and then you enter a map, your group and only your group are in the map, thus eliminating PKing, steal killing, and camping. Obviously in PvP, there will be another group or more.

The server has been up and running the game with players for two years now with a total down time of less than an hour. Only people at Arena. Net and a few hundred lucky outsiders are playing. Yes last april fools they had garden gnomes in the towns and for Halloween you could be jackolantern masks in the stores. It is currently in alpha testing, what we will get isn't exactly beta. We get a 3 day alpha preview. Closed Beta will be more towards summer.

Actually, it's been in alpha for about a year. However, the demo is not exactly "alpha". They've been working hard on certain areas which are now near-completion, and those will be the ones that are available to play in the demo. Nevertheless, a lot of things could still change afterwards, and there could be bugs, but they should be minimal.

Furthermore...these are the details i've learned so far about the demo:

Everybody is Level 15. Not higher, not lower. You can't gain any "levels" in the demo, although you do gain experience to learn skills and stuff like that. At character creation, you will also be able to choose a dual-profession if you so desire.

After E3, the game will return to alpha. Beta will not occur for at least a couple of months afterwards. Although them releasing a demo makes it seem like the game should be close to release, the game has only been in development for a year, so it really hasn't been that long.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shizz, that sounds sweet.... we get to start at lvl 15, thats smart on their part, i think it shows what the game is going to be more like instead of making us lvl up on our own. What professoins are you guys going to be? im going to be a necromancer/elementist

Gotta remember, when in your parties you are the only people in the area. Don't pick morons to play with you and you won't have to deal with them. Since the trial is only 3 days and our characters most likely won't be saved, I am going to try every class out. For a good soloing class, Warrior/Menser but I will mainly try Necromancer/Elementalist and then Ranger/?. For a support guy I will try Monk/Mesmer.

Since the max level is only 20 and the game is based on strategy I will probably end up using all 4 character slots. For purposes of the Guild, I will have a Monk/Mesmer, Necromancer/Elementalist, Warrior/Ranger, and something else that way whatever guy is needed most in the current battle I will play as.

IM deafinately going all out ranger class, (love the range and the bows look too cool to pass up) for a sub class i have no idea. whatever i think is also a pretty cool class while im playing. one thing is for sure im gonna sign up for the beta the first chance i get. can't wait for the 3 day test. every time i hear something new about the game i get that much more excited about it. no doubt about it im gonna get it.

the the max level won't be 20. There's been rumor about 50 at release...but it's all a WIP (work in progress). btw ghost, there's been no official word on how many characters they will allow us to create for the demo. i actually asked an alpha the other day, but he didn't know. Currently in alpha they have 4 character slots, but whether we get that many for the demo is unknown.

yayap, i hate playing with kids...i definitely prefer playing with people older than me. but like ghost said, it shouldn't be TOO bad...you really only play with who you want. And if someone's immature or cannot communicate properly, they will die along with you. Teamwork is very crucial in the game, and communication is key. You can't just run at a mob like you can in other games. you often have to strategize first...so let the idiot kid run ahead and die and then play peacefully ;)

I do hope you get to fight some huge armies though. If we start an OCC guild wonder if we'll ever get the castle to be ours. I would love to see the statue of me. :lol:

EDIT: Clay you said that none of the alpha testers knew about that dragon sword right? I hope its not a GM only weapon. :ph34r:

Edited by Ghost2520

well i wouldn't say NONE...but nobody i've heard from has seen it in game. By GM, you mean guild master? No, i don't think it's anything like that. There are definitely rare items in the game, and i'm sure the devs know where everything can be found...or they can obviously just write it in themselves directly. I have no doubt that it could indeed be acquired by anyone though (maybe not in demo). They've been pretty honest and have taken gamers to heart in all their decisions...they really seem to be thinkin of the fans.