Case Cooling Help

Hello everyone. Im new here and I could use your assistance. My computer specs are in my sig. This is my first hand built computer. So... heres the problem, I dont like my temperatures. hehe. My case allows for 1 92mm fan in the front, 1 92mm fan blowing out the back, and 1 unk size(oops I never checked size) blowing either in or out(depending on which way i face fan) on the case door. Since spring is here now my case temperatures are higher then I want them to be. Right now according to BIOS my temps are:

CPU Temp External :40 degrees C

CHA Temp: 28 degrees C

CPU Temp on Die: 50 degrees C

I have a Vantec PCI fan card(you know the one that has 2 fans that fits in a PCI slot) and a Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 coming in the mail. Im a bit nervous about changing the heatsink cause i dont wanna crush the cpu. I had a terrible time just trying to get the stock heatsink on. I also have artic silver 5 coming with the heatsink. But anyways do you have any ideas for lowering temps? Temp in house is 69-70F. Would a cooler for hard drive be good? I dont think theres much air getting to it cause of where the fans are. Could you suggest a good one? Also which way should the fan on the case door be blowing? In or out? I have done my best with wire management. Its nowhere near as nice as you guys can do but Im too chicken to drill holes in mobo tray and stuff like that. I wish I had a camera so I could show you lol... but anyways any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your volcano will take care of the cpu heat problem

The fan on the side door should blow in to cool your NB and video card

HDD cooler are, unless you have SCSI drives not that important

Heat in the case is mostly produced by your cpu and video card you could always get something other than stock for that or just get a good CFM side pannel fan ;)

EDIT: Your 2 fan slot thing should do ok for the video card :)

And it'a always easier to change the CPU hs when you take out the motherboard and work flat on a table.

Edited by kobalt

Ok, first. You want all the air to move from the front to the back. Once you do that and your not happy with the temp. You can make a blow hole out the top of the case. Hot air hises and the theory is that the heat will exit the case. Is there another way to get another fan in the front of the case? Right no you do have more air going out the back than you do coming in. Your power supply has fans that air sucking air out as well. I currently have one 80mm fan in front,one in the cover as well.PLus two 80mm fans blowing out the back. I also have a Arctic silencer that sucks air out the back off my vid card. My temps are 74 degrees F. at idle and no more than 105 degrees F on load. I realize I have a very cool CPU and that may contribute to it. The more air flow you have the better. I also opened a spare CD Rom bay and it actually sucks air in as well with out a fan. I used smoke to see.

Ok thank you. Now I have another question about the PCI fan card and my vid card. The Gigabyte card has a plastic thing on top that says Radeon 9800XT 256. It covers most of the card. Will the PCI fan card cool my radeon with that plastic cover on it? If not, then how do I remove it? Oh and there is no way that I can see it add another front fan. Its a Chieftec case.

P.S. I have an unrelated question. Ive been reading these boards for a while and several times people have talked about folding@home. What in the world is that?

Edited by Vic Mackey

No don't remove the cover. The bad thing is that the fan assemly on this card doesn't exhaust the air out side the case. The Arctic Silencer does. As for folding, its for research on folding protein so cures for deceases can be found

From my personal experances.. I have always found the best cooling to be.. my 2 front intakes... 2 back exausts.. and if I have fans on the side of the computer make those exausts..

everytime i have made them intakes.. I have always had higher temps.. the only time I would ever make them an intake is if you have a duct mod going from the outside of ur case to the CPU heatsink/fan

as for your HDs as Kobalt said.. unless ur running Scuzzy drives you definitly do not need a fan.. oh.. unless its the Western D. Raptors.. then I would prolly slap one on their..

a hole in the top?? eek! :lol: im not much of a metalworker. i dont even know if we have that kind of equipment. heck im not even sure the top of my case would come off. what size fan? 120mm? thats gonna be a big hole lol...

also there is no way to make a second exhaust fan in the back. there is no area free to do so. my rear exhaust fan has a metal covering over it. ive read that alot of you recommend that be cut out. again i dont even know if we have that kind of saw...

Edited by Vic Mackey

a hole in the top?? eek! :lol: im not much of a metalworker. i dont even know if we have that kind of equipment. heck im not even sure the top of my case would come off. what size fan? 120mm? thats gonna be a big hole lol...

also there is no way to make a second exhaust fan in the back. there is no area free to do so. my rear exhaust fan has a metal covering over it. ive read that alot of you recommend that be cut out. again i dont even know if we have that kind of saw...

yea when doing these kinds of things u sually have to take everything out do the mods then put everything back in. and yeah a 120mm would be ideal but it doesn't have to be that big, 92mm or 80mm are good too. as for the tools pick up a dremel and some saw disks somewhere and it will make shortwork of that hole.

Thanks for the info Sly_C! :D does anyone have any tips for installing an extreme volcano 12? that thing is huge. i dont wanna crush the cpu or mobo. i have artic silver 5 to use with it. how do you guys install heatsinks?

i find its easier to mount them without the fan on.put a little as5 on the cpu die, about half a grain of rice. hook up the side of the clips without the slot for the screwdriver, ease it down, don't push to hard, don't get in a hurry, then mount the fan.

ok cool. when i put the artic silver 5 on the cpu die do i spread it around or just leave it in a clump? also how do i remove old as5? cause i will probably have to clean it off cause of the heatsink i have on there now.