Xp Reboots In The Middle Of A Sp Install

Tempesta

Hello fellow Overclockers,

I think I answered my own question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I was installing Windows XP SP1a on an XP pro PC. It's never had SP1a before. In the middle of the install, I saw Weatherbug installed. I uninstalled it, and made the mistake of doing so. The PC rebooted in the middle of the SP install. Needless to say, the PC blue-screens on boot. I get a "Stop: C000021a (Fatal System Error)" error message, which support.microsoft.com has but not pertaining to my exact issue. I've never had the PC automatically reboot after a Weatherbug uninstall, but I guess this one does.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way around this besides a rebuild? I can't get in via Safe Mode nor Last Known Good. I'm in the process of backing up the HDD so I can play around with the copy and not ruin his original.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

That's what I was thinking.... I'm trying to back up the drive first before attempting a Repair but I'm having problems with Ghost - something about the NTFS table isn't flushed so it won't copy. I've got a blank drive that I may just copy it to in Windows Explorer, then Ghost it, then try the repair.

Jeez, it's not even lunch yet! Grrrrr....... :withstupid: <------- that would be me, BTW...

That sounds a little worse though Tempsta... If Ghost is telling you the table isn't flushed, then your entire partition may be corrupted and backup would be a problem... See if you can access the HDD on a seperate system as a slave as a last ditch effort IAEF...

Well, that was an older DOS version of Ghost. I put the drive in a known good PC as a slave and I can see the data on the drive. Phew! That was the part that worried me the most.... as long as his data is safe, I can rebuilt the PC and restore the data.

So I put a 3rd, blank HDD in the PC, and installed Ghost 2003. Ran LiveUpdate, and as I type this, Ghost just finished cloning the "trouble" drive to the new blank drive. Looks like the data is identical over both drives. So now I'm gonna take the backup and try a repair and see what I get.

Updates to follow....

**Update 4/9 - Thanks for the info guys! I was able to run a repair, and all is well. *whew*