Dumb Multiplier Question

I have a locked 2500+ barton but in my bios it still lets me change the multiplier though, it will boot if I change the multiplyer to 11.5 or 12 but not anything higher or lower, when I look at my system information it still says 2200mhz so I guess changing the multiplier has no effect right?

Edited by 360RamGuy01

I'm gonna hold on to this chip until I have enough money for a 64 bit processor, and a mobo that has a pci-express slot (when they come out) , I'm about to spend 145 bucks before shipping on a chieftech case, 4 led smartfans and a nexus fan controller so i wouldn't have any money for a mobile chip anyways

errr, if yer chip is locked then you can still change the multiplier :P

look at pentiums, the multiplier is just the interface which site betwee nthe actuall chip and the board. the 'locked' means you just cant change the fsb, but if you only want to oc you processor then there little drawback from multi oc'ing (note, little*)

errr, if yer chip is locked then you can still change the multiplier :P

look at pentiums, the multiplier is just the interface which site betwee nthe actuall chip and the board. the 'locked' means you just cant change the fsb, but if you only want to oc you processor then there little drawback from multi oc'ing (note, little*)

i thought it was the multi that was locked on intels, and you could ONLY change the fsb.

anyway, i have a little question about multipliers, what are they,? are they just imaginary numbers plucked out of the air which make you cpu LOOK faster? i can see why the fsb makes the proc faster but what does the multi actually change inside the proc to make it faster?

What do you mean you cant change your FSB?? of course you can, but you cant change the multi (as far as I know..)

Yeah, that's how Intels are. Multi. locked since the MMX days (or somewhere around there). FSB is the only way to go.

i have a little question about multipliers, what are they,? are they just imaginary numbers plucked out of the air which make you cpu LOOK faster?

multi is the number of cpu cycles per clock "tick"

imagine a Viking rowing vessel. The drummer is clock speed, number of rowers is the multi... sort of a stretch but gives the picture.

i have a little question about multipliers, what are they,? are they just imaginary numbers plucked out of the air which make you cpu LOOK faster?

multi is the number of cpu cycles per clock "tick"

ah i see. thanks B)