Ocing My 2500+ To 250fsb?

PinFXW

OK, so I just got my paycheck, which means I can get a vga silencer for my radeon 9800 which means my CPU temp should go down about 7C which means I can overclock again.

My question is, if I have Corsair XMS C2 PC-3200 256MB Stick x2 (DDR400), can I raise my CPU FSB to more than 200mhz? My mobo only allows me to go up to 250mhz, but even if I did, at a 1:2 ratio would 500mhz be ok with my RAM? Or do I need to go out and get DDR4400?

what kind of barton is that 2500+ ? a locked one or a unlocked one? if it's a locked one i don't think you will be able to hit 250 FSB. also when you loosen the timings on the ram it should go beyond 200 FSB with ease. nothing is sure but if you loosen the timings completely and up the VDIMM to 2.8~2.9 you should be able to hit 230 FSB with that ram...

before you get some DDR500 memory figure out what the max is of that chip.

if you can't even hit 220 FSB it's a waste of money if you get the DDR500 IMHO

You won't get 500MHz on that RAM, the highest I've gotten PC3200 was 450MHz and that was with 3.4v on the RAM. You could use dividers, or just buy PC4000 like you suggested.

Just out of curiousity, will your chip do 250FSB?

OK, so I just got my paycheck, which means I can get a vga silencer for my radeon 9800 which means my CPU temp should go down about 7C which means I can overclock again.

why would the vga silencer lower you CPU temps?

PinFXW: What kind of mobo do you have? Whether or not you can get those FSB speeds depends largely on whether you've got agp/pci locks. Also, you could do it with the pc3200, you'd just have to use a divider.