Prioritize!

tsamb.

In the task manager processes tab, is there any way to increase the priority of the F@H console? Or would it be a redundant procedure anyway. It always says that it is locked when trying to increase the priority through the task manager.

-tsamb.

You must be using the program that LinuxPro made? I tried it and it would not let me change it either its on low. I just got the regular console or command version from folding at home you can change it. Only problem is if someone else is using your PC and reboots or you forget to start it back up after a reboot you are not folding. Seems like I read in one of the forums there is a way to put that in the start up folder so that it will run when you reboot but it is still be on low untill you change it. I an running all command line versions on my PCs, I can change the priority but when it finishes a W.U. and gets a new W.U. it gos back to low I have to change it after every new W.U. I do not know if it helps that much or not but I try to keep all of my folding only machines on normal, I tried it with my work computer and it slows it down so much I had to put it back on low.

Thanks for the extra info. And yes I am using the client that LinuxPro made, I wonder if he has the answers to how to unlock the priority and affinity settings... *ohhh LP... come out come out wherever you are!!!* I might DL the generic console if he doesn't get back to us. But for now I'm just gonna keep on trucking at low priority.

-tsamb.

BTW, if you do have it in the boot sequence in windows, it will continue the current WU even if no one logs in. So you can just hit your power button and head off to work without worrying about it. (Discovered this when I left my PC to reboot while going to get some dinner. Came back and it had completed five frames while still at the login prompt.)

F@H priority is low.  No matter what you do to change it, the people that programmed it made it for low and idle.  Only way to fix it, is to maybe email them...

Even if you change it in the task manager?? If so I have been wasting a lot of time

Edited by road-runner

yeah, F@H is meant to utilize the idle resources, that's how it was designed. Theoretically if you could set it to "high" priority, then you wouldn't be able to open up any other program because F@H will be using 98% on high, while everything else will be on normal.

And road-runner, the reason why it "resets" itself is because with every new WU, it reloads the necessary core (tinker or gromac).

yeah, F@H is meant to utilize the idle resources, that's how it was designed. Theoretically if you could set it to "high" priority, then you wouldn't be able to open up any other program because F@H will be using 98% on high, while everything else will be on normal.

And road-runner, the reason why it "resets" itself is because with every new WU, it reloads the necessary core (tinker or gromac).

Yea I figured that much out, they are set for low so when it gets a new one its on low, and I understand why they have them on low. The higher priority you change it to like I put mine on real time once and the computer was so slow I like to have never got it back to normal. I was just wondering that if doing it this way changing it from low to normal speeds it up any or should I just let them all run on there on at low and not worry about changing them to normal. I was trying to speed them up, I have 12 machines that are just for folding but when I check on them to make sure everything is working ok I have been changing them to normal. If it doesnt help that will be one thing less for me to do.

well from my understanding of how "priority" works, increasing or decreasing its priority, even if it did "work", wouldn't make it fold any faster. On your folding-only machines, F@H should be running at 98-99% capacity with little to no interference (you shouldn't be using a screensaver, just turn off the monitor manually). Increasing the priority would do absolutely nothing because it's not fighting any other program for resources. Only way to speed up the folding process is to leave the computer alone (and to upgrade to a faster cpu of course).

Only way to speed up the folding process is to leave the computer alone (and to upgrade to a faster cpu of course).

What about good 'ol OverClocking :Pthat's what we are all about here... ;)

well from my understanding of how "priority" works, increasing or decreasing its priority, even if it did "work", wouldn't make it fold any faster. On your folding-only machines, F@H should be running at 98-99% capacity with little to no interference (you shouldn't be using a screensaver, just turn off the monitor manually). Increasing the priority would do absolutely nothing because it's not fighting any other program for resources. Only way to speed up the folding process is to leave the computer alone (and to upgrade to a faster cpu of course).

Ok thanks for the info I will not worry about trying to keep them on normal anymore

well the reason i didn't state overclocking was some people seem to have stability isssues between OCing and [email protected] WU's, and whatnot, so i didn't really want to state it as a given way of increasing WU production...know what i mean? but yes, obviously the more juice you cpu can put out, the faster it will fold :)