Which Brand?

hello, i have read different things and am not sure which to go with, i know that i want 2x256 (512mb dual channel) of pc3200 and i want it to be able to run very tight timings (2-3-2 or 2-2-2) as long as i keep it under 160 bucks i will be fine.

what brand do you guys recommend? i was looking at corsair, OCZ, kingston hyperX, and Mushkin.

Thx for any replies.

really any of those are great... alot of people will give there bull crap stories of which one is better...well every stick of ram is different and can only hope that you get areally good one...i personnaly would go with whatever is the cheapest.

Corsair, Mushkin, HyperX.

Thats what I say. Personally, I opted to buy PC4000 Mushkin and run it at slower speeds and tight timings. Works like a charm at 400 Mhz and 2-2-3-5

i might buy that mushkin pc4000...oc my system and the ram will still be underclocked lol, those are nice timings....might order a dual channel kit in a couple weeks. would you recommend 512 or 1gig? im starting to lean toward a gig as it does increase performance it seems for me.

There really is no reason to get a gig unless your're doing all sorts of crazy CAD stuff or something. I had a gig and one point in time, and I saw absolutely NO performance drop going to 512...in fact, I GAINED performance because I got tighter-timing ram. I'd rather have 512 of some awsome ram than a gig of normal stuff.

Edited by Eva_Unit_0

There really is no reason to get a gig unless your're doing all sorts of crazy CAD stuff or something. I had a gig and one point in time, and I saw absolutely NO performance drop going to 512...in fact, I GAINED performance because I got tighter-timing ram. I'd rather have 512 of some awsome ram than a gig of normal stuff.

well, i do a LOT of multitasking and i have a lot of things going i dont like to shutdown when im gaming also, and if i got a gig of awesome stuff you think i would notice a difference? i notice that every once in a while it will say in the taskmanager that i have less than 100mb of free ram.