Sign in to follow this  
SpongerN

Making Sure new Heatsink Fan Works

Hey, when i install a new heatsink do i just replace the 3 or 4 pin connecter with where the older fan connection was, and will the fand automatically start running once the comp is turned on or does it need to be turned on in Bios. Or is Bios just for adjusting the RPM's?

wait what are those yesses to. My main fear is that i will install the new heatsink and fan and when i start my comp into Bios it will be melted because the fan did not start up automatically.

Fans are powered by the PSU. So when you boot up your PSU kicks your fans on. Your BIOS doesn't control them. Though, some fans allow your to control the speed. But that has nothing to do with turning it on.

Just don't worry. Though, you might want to check to see if there is thermal greece stuff on the heatsink and proc. If you didn't apply this you can look around websites for how to do this.

Guest FreakyDrOverclock

if your fan doesn't beginn to spin if you turn on your comp there's something wrong...is it attached the same way as the old one? if yes something's wrong with the new one...

how do you control the RPM in your bios, never seen that before, it says how much RPM it is,  but cannot adjust them hmz? ???

gr33tz wZa

It also depends of the type too. Smart fans slow down when system goes into standby...I THINK.

Like I said, fans turn on when you turn your computer on.