Is A Case Really Necessary?

I have my CPU overclocked from 1.7 to 2.4 ghz, so it gets pretty hot in there, even with 4 heatsinks. I took the case off and have a fan blowing on it, but all my friends tell me its dangerous. is it? do i really need a case?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... even with 4 heatsinks....

Umm.... 4 heatsinks?

And what type of HSF are they? Most good HSFs will keep you below 55C even when OCed....

Then there is Pelter cooling which will get you close to 0C... and watercooling...

As far as opening your case and blowing a dan on it, your going to get a lot of dust, hair, etc blown inside your case, and risk blowing up or shorting something....

there was a post very similar to this recently...

especially w/ the freezer... I was wonderin if a freezer would have water in the air that could condensate or somethin on the chip and screw anything up... I guess not... very good idea..

to answer his question, you don't need a case at all.. it's not dangerous...

but cases to protect from anything hitting the mobo and all or static I guess... I heard that you can drop a few degrees runnin w/ out a case...

but ya I really wouldnt recomend it...

Statix6900: 600mhz seems like a lot, but w/ my chip (amd athlon xp) you can overclock a lot w/ very little cooling... but ya if you add some cooling it'll run more stable... you'd probly want as you said a Volcano 9, Im thinkin about buyin one soon and maybe overclocking a little...

if you use a mini freezer be sure to get an evaporator becasue if you get any condensation on your mobo then it will be FRIED. I actually designed 4 versions of what I call the "ATX-frdige" but I think Id only do it with a setup I didnt care about frying.

But no a case isnt NESSESARY its dangrous beause dust gets all over and it does keep the system grounded. lol I saw a computer "mobile" the guy jsut had all of his computer parts hanging from the ceiling. Its not too smart for the reasons I already mentioned but hey do what you want.