Sign in to follow this  
voyagerfan99

Micro ATX vs ATX

Which type of board do you prefer? If i get a micro atx board, am i limited to the size of the video card that i use atx vs micro atx?
Edited by voyagerfan99
spell missing

If you want to build a budget-friendly gaming PC, your best bet is to go with a micro-ATX motherboard. ... The only real difference is that standard ATX motherboards offer better aesthetics, more PCIe slots, and beefier VRMs for overclocking. don't be confused by thinking about atx vs micro atx

mATX can usually fit all the same size stuff as a full size board. There are some instances where a large air cooler will interfere with VRM coolers or RAM sticks, just due to their closeness to the CPU socket. So, checking board compatibility is always a good idea.

But generally, you're limited by what you can fit inside the case, not what can fit on the board.

My last build was ATX, and it will likely be my last. I used the full size board because I thought I would need the expansion options. But lots of mATX boards have dual m.2 slots, some even have three. With m.2 you need less SATA ports, out of the 6 on my board, only one is used for an old SATA SSD. SLI/Crossfire is mostly extinct so dual x16 slots aren't necessary.