Sign in to follow this  
Edwin Simkulet

Replacing HDDs with SSDs

I have a computer that I have been using for five years and it is now so laggy that I can't work properly. I took it apart and found that it only has one HDD, I would like to replace it with an SSD, will this speed up my computer?

My laptop module is HP Pavilion 14-al072tx

Depends on what you are expecting. Windows will boot faster and applications will open quicker as well. That is about it.

Product number X5P25PA
Product name HP Pavilion 14-al072tx
Microprocessor Intel® Core™ i5-6200U (2.3 GHz, up to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory, standard 4 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Video graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard drive 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
Display 14" diagonal HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Your machine specs aren't the worst so perhaps there are apps and services running in the background that are slowing it down...

Posted (edited)

I'd say it would do a little bit more than just load windows and apps faster.  With the thousands of processes that are running in the backround of todays windows it may help a bit more.  As always, it depends on what youre doing on your computer.  But the more things you have running at once combined with windows thousands of processes, access times are key and that 5400 rpm drive is horrible.  It certainly helps a ton when things like certain antivirus programs or windows updates is/are running in the backround.  The vast majority of hdd's that come as standard in laptops are painfully slow.  It would help to know your full specs (I didn't look them up) and what types of things you do, and do concurrently on it.  If you have a sufficient amount of ram, or preferably a little more, then an ssd could be a huge difference.  I've had more than a handful of people that were very happy with this upgrade; it may be the single best thing to do to improve performance, behind getting more ram, if needed.

Edit: ok I looked up the specs.  4gb ram.  I would get this up to 16gb and see how you like it.  If you'd like a bit more performance then yes any ssd would be a ton better than that 5400rpm drive you have now.

Edited by Fight Game

@Fight Game 2 Core CPU with 4GB is almost not worth the investment for a SSD. But 8GB of Ram isn't expensive. Get the cheapest you can find because this computer is for watching videos, browsing the web and writing emails. Can't say it could game at all.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:22 PM, cjloki said:

Your machine specs aren't the worst so perhaps there are apps and services running in the background that are slowing it down...

I had some program before but I thought it was too laggy so I reinstalled it on my system. But it still doesn't work.

well then perhaps a new SSD is in order.... couldn't hurt !